Having cosmetic surgery to remove unwanted deposits of fat is a growing trend. Statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) indicate that that non-surgical fat reduction procedures rose by 43% in 2014. One reason for this is the efficacy of non-surgical devices that remove fat by melting or freezing it, says ASAPS president Michael Edwards. While most people know about lipolysis – the procedure that melts stubborn fat to remove it – freezing fat is a new way of getting rid of the fat to improve body shape.
Let’s look at what fat freezing involves and why is it fast becoming the desired option for body sculpting.
Freezing fat to remove it is a novel treatment that is completely nonsurgical. Developed by Zeltiq Aesthetics, the CoolSculpting device features two cooling plates which are placed over the area to be treated. The fat bulges are pulled into the device and held in place by a strong vacuum. The plates are then activated to the specific temperature that makes the fat cells crystallize or die out. Unlike other methods, there is no need for a separate method to remove the destroyed fat from the body. The fat gets eliminated through body’s normal metabolic process.
Advantages of CoolSculpting
- Over 1 million CoolSculpting treatments have been performed worldwide. In 2014, NewBeauty Magazine named it the ‘best body treatment’.
- Clinically proven FDA-approved non-invasive method to reduce fat
- Selectively targets localized fat deposits and freezes them
- Ideal to treat the abdomen, love handles, bra rolls and muffin-tops
- Can remove fat from multiple areas
- No surgery or incisions,
- No needles or suction hose
- No anesthesia
- No scars
- Short, safe procedure that can be performed in a doctor’s office
- Reduces fat layer by 20-25%
- No harm to the surrounding tissues
- Permanently destroys targeted fat cells
- Dead fat cells eliminated via body’s natural metabolic process
- Patients can remain active and relaxed during treatment
- No downtime – patients usually return to normal activity immediately
Of course, for optimal results make sure you find a plastic surgeon who is experienced in the procedure. This will ensure an individualized treatment plan to meet your specific goals. The duration of the CoolSculpting session varies among patients and is based on the number of areas treated in one session. Additional sessions may be needed to improve the outcome.
Remember that CoolSculpting is not a weight loss strategy or a substitute for liposuction. Not everyone is a candidate for this non-surgical treatment. Ideal candidates are those who are healthy, within 20-30 pounds of their ideal body weight and looking to get rid of fat bulges that are unresponsive to diet and exercise.