Latest ASAPS Statistics Show Surge in Cosmetic Surgery Procedures

Patients opting for cosmetic surgery procedures in the United States have increased tremendously over the last few years. Recent statistics released by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) reveal that about 9.2 million cosmetic surgical and non surgical procedures were performed in the United States in 2011, an increase of 197 percent since 1997.

According to the newly released ASAPS statistics, Americans spent over $10 billion on cosmetic procedures in 2011, of which $6.2 billion was on surgical procedures. More than 1.6 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed, representing a one percent increase just in 2011. The most popular cosmetic surgery procedures were:

  • Liposuction (325,332)
  • Breast augmentation (316,848)
  • Abdominoplasty (149,410)
  • Breast lift (127,054)

Gender-wise, women had about 8.4 million cosmetic procedures, which was 91% of the total. Some of the most popular surgical procedures for women were breast augmentation, liposuction, tummy tuck, and breast lift. Men had 800,000 cosmetic procedures, constituting the remaining 9%. Among the most sought after procedures for men were liposuction and breast reduction (for gynecomastia).

Surgical procedures constituted 18 percent of the total number of cosmetic procedures performed and represented 63 percent of the total expenditure. In contrast, there was a slight decline in the number of minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed during the period of the ASAPS survey.