Fashion trends keep on changing and so do the areas chosen for cosmetic surgery. While liposuction and breast augmentation are among the most procedures worldwide, a recent report says the number of Brits opting to have buttock enhancement procedures is soaring. Plastic surgeons in New York City also report similar trends.
The Express report, which is based on data provided by comparison website whatclinic.com, notes that thousands of Britons are splurging on butt augmentation and that this number rose by a third in the last year. The website found that 2,301 people contacted clinics to discuss their desire to have derriere enhancement. Interestingly, the report says most of the aspirants were 24 years old.
It’s quite obvious that the trend was fueled by online photos of celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez and Nicki Minaj showing off their full, curvaceous booties.
There are two cosmetic procedures to enhance the buttocks – implants and fat transfer. The problem with buttock implants is that they come with a very high risk of infection and displacement. The Brazilian butt lift resolves this issue as it uses the patient’s own fat to improve volume and contour. The procedure involves removing excess fat via safe liposuction procedures from specific areas of the body and injecting it into certain areas in the buttocks to provide the desired appearance. The use of autologous fat minimizes rejection issues and scarring. This natural buttock augmentation procedure is a great option to shape up after pregnancy or weight loss, improve the curve of the buttocks, and achieve better proportion.
In fact, this minimally-invasive procedure which uses fat is extremely popular in the U.S. Data released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) noted that in 2014, buttock implants and lifts saw the fastest increase in recent years. Fox News reported, that buttock augmentation with fat grafting rose by 15 percent from 2013 to 2014 (to 11,505 procedures).
It’s obvious that the demand for plastic surgery will keep growing with medical advancements and new technology. NYC plastic surgeons cater to this interest with a wider array of options for men and women.
Natural, environmental and other factors such as exposure to the sun, aging, heredity and skin disorders can affect the way the skin looks and feels. Cosmetic skin resurfacing products and advanced techniques can improve such damage and enhance the appearance of the skin. The desire for wrinkle-free, smooth and youthful-looking skin is universal and it’s hardly surprising that the demand for such products and cosmetic procedures is growing.
According to a recently published report by market research firm Technavio, the global professional skin care market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.15% over the period 2014-2019. The market includes a variety of skincare products with anti-aging, anti-pigmentation, anti-dehydration, anti-cellulite and sun protection properties.
The report identifies the multi-functionality of cosmetic formulae as a major incentive for the market. Other factors that drive the skincare market include Increase in demand for anti-aging products, emergence of customized products, and increased demand for sunscreen products.
The report identifies cosmetic surgery and Botox as posing challenges to skincare products. In fact, these cosmetic dermatologic procedures can provide what skincare products cannot offer. For instance, a laser facelift is a minimally-invasive procedure that can tighten and lift the lower face, smooth wrinkles, and restore a more youthful-looking neckline. BOTOX injections can prove a quick and effective solution for the frown lines on the forehead, between the eyes, and at the base of the nose.
Deep folds, dynamic wrinkles facial scars are best treated by combinations of skin rejuvenation procedures such as chemical peels, dermabrasion and light and laser techniques. Cosmetic surgeons will recommend the best treatment based on individual characteristics such as skin type, degree of skin damage, medical history, overall health and other conditions.
At one time, cosmetic surgery was exclusive to women who wanted to enhance their appearance and slow down the signs of aging. However, in the last decade or so, more and more men are opting to have cosmetic surgical treatments. There are many reasons for trend.
- One dominant factor is the influence of the media. Reality shows in which celebrities discuss their plastic surgery experiences as well as discussions on new technologies have heightened awareness about less invasive surgeries and non-surgical rejuvenation options which men can choose from.
- The negative stigma associated with cosmetic surgery no longer exists. Plastic surgery has gained wide acceptance. This could be the most important factor driving the demand for male cosmetic procedures.
- The desire to stay competitive in the workplace is another important consideration. Many consider procedures to achieve what are thought to be masculine facial traits – a strong jawline, prominent brow, and a well-shaped nose – in addition to body contouring treatment.
- New technology has also allayed safety concerns. The availability of advanced techniques that blend safety with efficiency allows men to go in for plastic surgery with greater confidence.
Popular male procedures include liposuction to resolve excess fat, gynecomastia treatment to achieve a masculine-looking chest, abdominal etching to get the six-pack look, and jaw lift surgery for a strong jaw line.
Buttock augmentation is one of the fastest growing cosmetic surgical procedures, with the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) reporting that a surge of 86 percent during 2013-14. Even NYC plastic surgery practices report that more and more women are showing interest in this procedure. With their curvaceous bodies, celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj have inspired many women to try butt injections. Here we put together the answers to some frequently asked questions on this treatment.
- What are butt injections? The treatment involves using your own fat to improve the size and shape of your derriere. Excess fat is removed from specific areas through liposuction, processed and purified, and then injected into the buttocks.
- Who is an ideal candidate? If you want to enhance the roundness or general shape of your derriere, you need to have enough fat to spare for the procedure but not be obese. As with most plastic surgery treatments, you should also be in good health with no serious medical conditions, and have realistic expectations.
- How is the Brazilian butt lift different from implant surgery? In the implants method, you can expect improved size. The fat transfer method improves volume, reshapes the butt and provides more natural looking results.
- Will the injected fat travel to other areas of the body? This will not happen. About 65% of the fat transferred will remain in the buttocks post treatment and the rest will be excreted. Your results at three months are what you can expect for the long-term.
- Will weight loss in the future affect the results? Yes, maintaining the outcome depends mostly on how well you maintain your weight with proper exercise and a healthy diet. Excessive weight loss may diminish the outcome.
- How long has this procedure been around? The first Brazilian Butt Lift was performed over two decades ago. However, the last five years have seen a surge in demand for this novel treatment.
- Are there any risks? Like all plastic surgery procedures, butt injections too come with some risks. Having the treatment performed by an experienced surgeon in an AAAASF-accredited surgical practice would minimize risk of complications.
- How long will it take to recover? The actual time for recovery varies from person to person. It varies with the amount of fat removed and transferred. On an average, discomfort lasts for about 7 to 10 days, with pain subsiding in about 3-4 weeks.
The Cutting Edge Aesthetic Surgery Symposium is a unique educational event for practicing plastic surgeons and is described as the best aesthetic surgery meeting in the world. Attended by world-class faculty and endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the event has a long tradition of excellence in providing progressive aesthetic plastic surgery education.
Cutting Edge 2015 is being held from December 3 – 5 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. The aim of the event is to show that in 2015, surgery provides superiority in facial rejuvenation and body contouring.
This year, Chairmen Dr. Sherrell J. Aston and Dr. Daniel C. Baker, have brought together an outstanding faculty of renowned experts who are recognized worldwide as the innovators and developers of the most advanced techniques for face and body contouring. Plastic surgeons Dr. Spero Theodorou and Dr. Christopher Chia who head bodySCULPT® are among these eminent experts. bodySCULPT® is an established plastic surgery practice in Manhattan, NYC offering an extensive range of advanced cosmetic surgical procedures for men and women. Both Dr Theodorou and Dr. Chia are teaching faculty at ASAPS.
At Cutting Edge 2015, Dr. Theodorou and Dr. Chia will discuss the use of technology in body contouring. They will focus specifically on high lateral tension abdominoplasty, and the use of lasers and ultrasound in liposuction and body sculpting.
One of the highlights of this reputable annual event is that it is the first symposium to feature videos as the format of presentation. As Dr. Chia points out, the video format offers the “most effective way to see how our esteemed colleagues do their particular procedures in their own environment.”
Cutting Edge presenters Dr. Aston and Dr. Baker state that this year’s symposium will capture the success of last year’s video sessions. Moreover, this year, the video sessions have been expanded to include 107 highly edited videos showing the key points of various cosmetic surgical procedures by a world class faculty. All of the videos are intended for the practicing plastic surgeon.
The key points from the videos will form the subject of the discussion at the symposium. Inviting plastic surgeons to the Cutting Edge Symposium, Dr. Baker says, “I hope all of you will help Dr. Aston and me to present a lot of controversial challenging questions to the faculty in the discussion period.”
Being informed is the first step towards becoming and staying as healthy as possible. When it comes to breast health, it has been found that few women know the facts. In view of this, breastcancer.org recently launched a new prevention platform to inform, empower, and inspire women and girls to protect their breast health and reduce the risk of breast cancer.
The basic message that the new breasthealth.org platform sends out is: “the choices you make today can make a big difference tomorrow”. The platform aims to encourage women to make smart lifestyle choices. In order to kick off the launch of the breasthealth.org platform, BuzzFeed put up a special quiz: “How Much Do You Really Know About Breasts?” The quiz features ten interesting and inspiring questions and answers to get people discussing the topic. Taking the quiz will reveal the answers to commonly asked questions such as if women with breast implants can still breastfeed and whether women can do anything to reduce the risk of breast cancer.
A nonprofit organization, Breastcancer.org is committed to providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer. The aim of this organization is to help women make the best decisions for their lives by providing them with comprehensive medical and personal information about breast health and breast cancer. The website provides detailed information on symptoms and diagnosis, treatment and side effects, understanding and reducing risks, and more. The new platform launched by the organization adds to all this by providing women with all the information they need to maintain their breast health.
Breasthealth.org provides an elaborate description of healthy lifestyle choices in sections such as ‘healthy eating’, ‘healthy habits’ and ‘healthy home’.
Healthy eating is focused on maintaining a healthy weight. In addition to good exercise, what you eat and how you prepare and store your food is important. This includes cooking the safe way, knowing which diet is good for you, safety of cookware, grilling wisely, and clean eating. Healthy habits for improved breast health include staying hydrated the healthy way, getting enough vitamin D, and maintaining good sleep habits. The importance of a healthy home is also stressed with advice on how to minimize your exposure to certain chemicals that can cause breast cancer by choosing skin care products and cleaning supplies that are safe.
An increasing number of seniors are undergoing cosmetic surgery to rejuvenate their appearance and enhance their self-confidence. However, there are concerns about post-operative complications and how having aesthetic surgery will affect their health. A study conducted to assess whether it is safe for seniors to have cosmetic surgical procedures found that when compared to younger patients, the risks are not significantly higher for older patients.
The researchers from Vanderbilt University and the University of Alabama, Birmingham compared the frequency of postoperative complications in elective cosmetic surgery patients 65 and older with those in younger patients. About 183,914 cosmetic surgical procedures were reviewed using the prospectively enrolled group of patients in the CosmetAssure database.
The patient cohort included a total of 6,786 elderly (65 and older) patients. The mean age of the elderly group was 69.1 and that of younger candidates was 39.2 years. When compared to the younger patient group, the other group had more men, a higher mean body mass index, a greater incidence of diabetes mellitus and fewer smokers. A subgroup of patients 80 and older (the octogenarian group) were considered for a separate analysis for postoperative complications.
The findings of the study which were published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal in April 2015 are as follows:
- Among the elderly patients, Up to 62.9 percent had facial procedures while the corresponding percentage for their younger counterparts was just 12 percent.
- The overall postoperative complication rate was not significantly different between the two groups.
- Taking the cosmetic procedures performed, the postoperative complication rate was higher among seniors for abdominoplasty. Complications included hematoma, infection and problems with the healing of wounds.
- The octogenarian group had an overall complication rate of 2.2% which was not considerably different from the younger group.
The researchers concluded, “Cosmetic procedures in elderly patients, including octogenarians, remain safe with an acceptable complication rate compared to younger patients.”
Consulting an experienced cosmetic surgeon is extremely crucial for older people considering aesthetic procedures. Seniors need to be carefully evaluated to ensure that they are in good health to reduce the risk of post-surgical complications and to promote faster recovery. The plastic surgeon would also need to make sure that older patients fully understand the implications of surgery, and that they have realistic expectations. Some patients may need counseling. Nevertheless, with the advancements in technology, cosmetic surgery which is typically skin deep, has become safer and more effective than ever before. With an experienced and knowledgeable surgeon, seniors can expect customized cosmetic surgical procedures to meet their unique goals.
Having a baby and bringing up a child are among life’s most treasured experiences. However, they tend to keep you busy, with the result that you are left with little time for yourself. Pregnancy also involves undesirable physical changes such as weight gain, build of stubborn fat deposits in areas like the waist and abdomen, and sagging breasts. Moms often find they have don’t have the time to get back in shape with a proper weight loss plan. Fortunately, plastic surgery can help resolve such aesthetic issues and offers the solution in the form of a comprehensive procedure called a “mommy makeover”. But is cosmetic surgery a practical goal for busy moms? Let’s take a look at some common concerns related to the decision to have aesthetic procedures and the solutions to them.
- One main concern relates to the care of her child or children. Some downtime and recovery time is inevitable, even with minimally-invasive procedures. While breast augmentation and tummy tuck can involve recovery time extending over a few weeks, recovery is faster with liposuction and cellulite reduction treatment. Family support or outside help could prove invaluable in these circumstances.
- Many women shy away from having an elective procedure because of the risks involved. All cosmetic surgical procedures do involve some kind of risk. When you have children, you tend to be doubly cautious of exposing yourself to these risks. The solution lies in doing some proper research to find the right plastic surgeon. With a qualified and experienced surgeon, the risk of complications is greatly reduced. Moreover, with advancements in technology, many aesthetic procedures use only local anesthesia, which minimizes patient risk.
- Another concern is whether the outcome will be long-lasting. This would also depend on your choice of surgeon. An experienced surgeon would utilize advanced technologies that can provide an attractive and long-lasting outcome. However, to maintain your results, it’s important that you lead a healthy lifestyle with proper diet and exercise.
Having transformative body procedures can have a very positive impact on a woman’s self-esteem. It makes moms feel proud that they took the right measures to restore their looks and confidence.
A recent DailyMail report about teens in the U.K. opting for risky cosmetic procedures has raised concerns among industry experts. According to the report, children as young as 14 are getting cosmetic surgery such as lip augmentation, which the National Health Service (NHS) says can be administered without medical training and poses many risks, including a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Experts point out that this clearly indicates the need for stricter regulations.
It’s become quite for teens to seek plastic surgery to enhance their looks by improving on a physical trait, to fit in with their peers, stop getting bullied, and boost their self-esteem. Many youngsters are driven to have cosmetic procedures by the social media and selfie trend. Back-to-school procedures are also gaining popularity. Many teens find vacations the right time to undergo an aesthetic treatment as it gives them time to recover.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), teens accounted for only 2% of the total number of cosmetic procedures performed in 2014. The most common procedures for teens were nose surgery, male breast reduction, ear surgery, laser hair removal and laser skin resurfacing. A total of 224,000 total cosmetic procedures were performed on teenagers, a rise of 2% over 2013. Of these, 64,000 were surgical and 161,000 were minimally-invasive (which rose 3% from 2013). These numbers are bound to rise, say reports.
In the U.S., the minimum age is defined for a procedure like breast implant surgery: saline-filled breast implants can be used for breast augmentation only in women 18-years or older and silicone gel implants in women age 22 and older. ASPS clearly recognizes that not all teenagers seeking plastic surgery are suitable candidates for a procedure. As with any surgery, ASPS has made parental consent necessary for all plastic surgery procedures performed on those younger than 18 years old.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) has put down clear guidelines for plastic surgeons evaluating teenagers requesting cosmetic plastic surgery:
- Assessment of physical maturity: The feature that the candidate wishes to change should be fully developed or else surgery would interfere with its growth, and dissipate the benefits of surgery in later years.
- Evaluation of emotional maturity and expectations: The teenager should be fully aware about the benefits and limitations of the proposed procedure, and also have realistic expectations.
- Expression of interest by the candidate: The teenager should have initiated the request for the procedure. Parental support is essential but the teenager’s desire for the procedure must be clearly expressed and have been repeated over a period of time.
Patients should ensure that the plastic or cosmetic surgeon they choose is qualified and experienced and operates in an accredited ambulatory or office-based facility, the facility. Teens and their parents should also fully understand the risks of surgery, postsurgical restrictions on activity, and standard recovery times.
Double chin fat is a major aesthetic concern among both men and women. A slack jaw line with a surplus of fat can greatly affect facial aesthetics and also make you look older than you are. Diet and exercise can do very little to tackle the problem and plastic surgeons provide the solution with liposuction surgery and an injection that zaps chin fat. ABC7 Chicago recently reported on one more treatment modality that has emerged for double chin fat which involves neither surgery nor injections. This new treatment that has just won FDA-approval for double chin reduction is CoolSculpting by Zeltiq Aesthetics.
CoolSculpting, which eliminates excess fat by freezing it, has already proved an ideal choice to effectively resolve stubborn fat in large areas such as the waist and hips. Now, the FDA has approved the treatment to freeze away chin fat. The procedure is performed using the CoolSculpting cooling applicator, which has been specially scaled down for treating this delicate area. Placed at the treatment site, this non-invasive procedure delivers controlled cooling to freeze and kill the stubborn fat cells.
The fat is chilled in about an hour or so without affecting the nerves located along the jawline. A butter-shaped cube of frozen fat cells collects underneath the chin and this is massaged away by the physician. Side effects are minimal – just a little redness and swelling, which resolves in a short time.
This FDA-approved treatment permanently removes double chin fat, though the full outcome would be visible only after several months. Recovery time is much lower than that for liposuction, which means that the new treatment could scale the popularity charts quite fast. In fact, this seems to be the case with most non-invasive cosmetic treatments – offering effective results, no scarring, quick recovery, and little downtime, they seem to meet all patient expectations.