Excessively large breasts can be a burden for women, causing physical discomfort and emotional distress. Overly large breasts can lead to neck, shoulder and back pain, deep grooves in the shoulders from bra strap pressure, skin rashes under the breast crease, and difficulty fitting into clothing. It can also restrict women from playing their favorite sports or engaging in other physically demanding activities. Leading plastic surgeons offer breast reduction surgery in NYC to address this concern. Also known as reduction mammaplasty, the procedure removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin, resolves sagging, and results in a more proportionate bust line.
Here are some important things you should know about breast reduction surgery:
- Consider breast reduction surgery after your breasts have developed fully – This procedure is not recommended for those patients whose breasts are still developing, as the changes can affect the results initially achieved. Women are advised to wait until breast development is complete and until they have finished having children to have breast reduction.
- Know the possible side-effects – Possible side-effects associated with the procedure include:
- Change in Nipple Sensation – Some people may experience increased or reduced sensitivity in one or both nipples, while others notice only small changes or don’t notice any change. However, these side-effects will ease as you heal.
- Asymmetry – A certain degree of breast asymmetry is a natural feature. However, breast reduction surgery improves symmetry and gives your body a more proportionate contour.
- Maintain Realistic Expectations about the Recovery Process – Breast reduction is an outpatient procedure and patients usually return home the same day. However, the recovery process will take about six weeks.
- You can return to work after one to two weeks.
- Don’t exercise or lift or stretch your arms for about six weeks after the surgery.
- You may be advised to wear a bra 24/7 post-surgery to maintain the results.
- You need to follow your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions carefully to make healing easier and quicker.
- Consider the procedure in combination with other cosmetic procedures – Breast reduction may be performed in combination with the following cosmetic procedures:
- Breast lift – Breast lift procedure raises the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue.
- Liposuction – This procedure removes of excess fat cells from the breast area and makes the breasts smaller and more natural-looking.
If you are considering breast reduction surgery, choose a NYC plastic surgeon with extensive experience in the procedure. The procedure is performed using different techniques, and an experienced surgeon will determine the best method to address your concerns based on your individual considerations, breast composition, amount of reduction desired, and your personal goals.