In February, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) published its annual report on plastic surgery procedures performed in the U.S. in 2013. According to the report, 15.1 million cosmetic surgery procedures were performed in the country last year, a 3% increase from 2012. The top five cosmetic surgical procedures are breast augmentation, nose reshaping, eyelid surgery, liposuction and facelift. Most of the findings in the report are pretty much as expected though some are a bit surprising considering previous trends.
As expected, the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in 2013 as in the preceding year. However, the popularity of buttock augmentation and neck lifts in 2013 compared to 2012 is an interesting development. The ASPS provides the following information on the five top cosmetic surgery procedures performed in the US last year.
- Breast augmentation: Breast implant surgery provides women with the desired breast size and shape. With 290,000 procedures performed in 2013, this showed 1% increase from 2012.
- Nose reshaping: Also called rhinoplasty, nose reshaping surgery is performed to improve the nasal appearance as well as breathing function. Even though there was a 9% drop from 2012, nose surgery still retained its position in the chart with 221,000 procedures.
- Eyelid surgery: This treatment helps restore a youthful appearance by removing the excess skin and fat around the eyes to resolve tired or heavy looking eyelids. With 216,000 procedures in 2013, it marked a 6% increase from 2012.
- Liposuction: This treatment helps reduce unwanted fat that is resistant to diet and exercise from extensive and delicate areas of the body. There was just a 1% drop in figures from 2012 and the treatment stood 4th position in 2013 with 200,000 procedures.
- Facelift: This treatment helps restore a more youthful appearance by addressing ageing issues such as facial wrinkles, creases and lines. With 133,000 procedures performed in 2013, it showed 6% increase from 2012.
Some other procedures also did well in 2013 compared to 2012. The number of neck lift surgeries rose to 55,346 from 52,189 and buttock augmentation with fat grafting procedures from 8,654 to 9,993. Leading plastic surgery practices offer all of these treatments as well as non-invasive procedures for body contouring.