A major aesthetic concern among many men and women is excess abdominal skin and fat that does respond to even strenuous diet and exercise. Factors such as excessive weight loss, pregnancy or genetics are usually the underlying reasons for this problem. Fortunately, tummy tuck surgery in NYC can provide the solution. This cosmetic surgical procedure removes excess fat and sagging skin in the abdominal area to result a toned, more youthful appearance. Performed using FDA approved, minimally-invasive advanced liposuction devices such as BodyTite, Smartlipo Triplex and VASER lipo, this procedure offers all the benefits of a traditional abdominoplasty but with greater efficiency and less downtime.
Besides providing aesthetic benefits, a tummy tuck in NYC can also provide medical benefits such as improving back pain and urinary incontinence, the two most common physical complaints by women after labor and delivery. So if you are looking for a procedure that helps to restore strength and stability in the abdominal and pelvic region post-birth along with a flatter, firmer abdominal shape then tummy tuck could be the ideal option. The procedure can also reduce the risks of medical conditions such as diabetes, fungal infections, heart and liver disease, and even heart attack.
However, not all are men and women are candidates for tummy tuck surgery. It is a highly personalized procedure and outcomes will differ based on individual considerations. Here are the general considerations that determine your candidacy for the procedure:
- Have a protruding belly and abdominal muscles in the belly area
- Be healthy and close to your ideal body weight
- Should have experienced significant weight loss
- Have a positive attitude and realistic expectations about the outcome
Generally, performing a tummy tuck on obese patients is generally considered risky as obese patients are at higher risk of complications after the procedure. However, a study published in the official medical journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) reported that “tummy tuck” surgery (abdominoplasty), with or without concurrent liposuction can be safely performed in obese patients, with no increase in complications compared to non-obese patients.
AAAASF accredited plastic surgery practices offer different types of tummy tuck procedures such as
- Complete or Full Abdominoplasty
- Partial Abdominoplasty or Mini Tummy Tuck
- High lateral tension Abdominoplasty
- Liposuction-only Abdominoplasty
- Brazilian Tummy Tuck
During the consultation of tummy tuck surgery in NYC, expert plastic surgeons will recommend the type of tummy tuck best suited for your need based on an assessment of the condition of your skin and tissue.
- A complete tummy tuck addresses the entire midsection. This procedure requires two incisions – one in the lower abdomen from one hip to the other, and a second one made around the navel. Excess fat and skin are removed from both the upper and lower abdomen and the muscles are tightened to provide a firmer, flatter abdomen. This type of tummy tuck is recommended for women in post-pregnancy period, have experienced major weight loss and are unhappy with how their bodies have changed due to genetics or aging (www.plasticsurgery.org).
- A mini tummy tuck is recommended for women who want to correct physical changes after pregnancy and tighten muscles to correct a slightly protruding tummy. This procedure is recommended when only a small amount of abdominal skin needs to be removed, and there is no substantial protruding of the abdominal muscle wall.
- A high lateral tension tummy tuck removes excess fat and skin and also providing a visibly improved contour. The procedure tightens the abdominal muscles and skin as well as the skin that lies just below the breasts on the upper abdomen.
- Liposuction-only abdominoplasty is recommended for younger patients with elastic skin and moderate fat deposits. If the candidate has good abdominal muscle tone, results would be remarkable.
- A Brazilian tummy tuck in NYC trims the abdominal area and also rejuvenates the inner thighs with minimal scars. The scars remain inconspicuous since the incisions are generally made on the bikini line.
To determine if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck in NYC, schedule a consultation in an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice that has plastic surgeons who are experts in performing the procedure. After clearing you for the treatment, a reliable plastic surgeon will evaluate your anatomical considerations and recommend the type of tummy tuck that will best meet your goals.