An unhealthy lifestyle, genetic factors, and aging are the common factors leading to excessive weight gain. People resort to rigorous dieting and exercise or weight loss surgery to shed pounds. However, while these measures help them achieve their weight loss goals, it is found that they leave behind lot of excess skin and tissues which often lack the elasticity to match the reduced body size. The result is that people end up disappointed with the results of their weight loss efforts. Body contouring surgery can address localized despots of fat and sagging skin that remain after dramatic weight loss and result in an attractive shape.
Body Contouring Procedures
The most common body contouring/laser liposuction procedures and the conditions they address are as follows:
- Facelift: sagging of the mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Breast lift: saggy, flattened breasts
- Abdominal liposuction: excess skin, fat and slack muscles in the abdomen
- Lower body lift: sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Thigh lift: excess fat and sagging skin inner, outer and mid thigh
- Arm lift: excess fat and hanging skin in the upper arms
Facts about Body Contouring Surgery
According to a WebMd report, people considering body contouring after weight loss need to consider the following factors as not everybody who loses weight needs the procedure.
- Only those who are unhappy about their appearance after weight loss need to have liposuction. The decision to have the procedure should be based on considerations such as how evenly the weight was distributed, genetic factors, age, level of sun exposure and the most importantly, how you feel about your looks.
- It is really hard to avoid the slackening effect of the skin after the middle age, say, after age 40. That could be the reason why most people who choose to have body contouring are over this age. The extent of loose skin also depends on where you lose fat. Sagging would be less when weight loss is more evenly distributed over the body.
- Choose to have laser liposuction if you have sagging skin in several areas, such as the face and neck, breasts, arms, abdomen, back and thighs.
- Have surgery in the area that bothers you the most, and it is possible that you may not need additional procedures.
- To experience an optimal outcome, don’t rush to the procedure after weight loss. See that your weight is stable for at least three months and make sure to correct all nutritional deficiencies that can occur after weight loss surgery before you have body contouring.
- The recovery period may range from 4-6 weeks depending on the procedure. So be ready to take time off from your routine activities or work.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid smoking to prepare your body for the procedure.
New York City plastic surgery practices offer an array of body contouring procedures. You can expect optimal results for body contouring when it is performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon in an AAAASF-accredited practice.