Extra fat around the waist or belly fat is not merely an aesthetic concern, it can also be dangerous to your health. Extra fat in the abdominal area is strongly linked to health conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Many people want to lose this belly fat, that too, naturally. According to an articleinmsn.com, “Crash diets, starving and making drastic changes to your lifestyle may seem like luring options to lose some quick kilos, but they are not sustainable in the longer run.” To lose belly fat naturally all you have to do is follow a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and exercise routine.
When planning a healthy lifestyle, you must keep in mind that the changes you make in your lifestyle should reduce your appetite significantly, make you lose weight quickly, without hunger and should improve your metabolic health at the same time. Below are some expert tips and tricks to shed belly fat naturally:
- Drink lukewarm water: Start your day by drinking lukewarm water as it helps kick-off your metabolism, which is key to weight loss. You can add a little bit of lemon juice or infuse the water with grated ginger if you get bored with plain water, as lemon and ginger are known for their metabolism boosting and fat-burning properties.
- Eat a high-protein diet: According to an article in healthline.com, protein is the most important macronutrient when it comes to losing weight. Include more eggs, oats, beans and lentils in your breakfast, as they are packed with protein. High protein intake increases the release of the fullness hormone PYY, which reduces appetite and promotes fullness. So, a protein-packed breakfast makes you feel full, crave less and facilitates weight loss.
- Have meals at shorter intervals: Try to have 5-6 short meals every day, so that you can avoid long gaps between meals. Observing long gaps between meals can cause your blood sugar to drop, which could also slow down the metabolism.
- Eat foods rich in fiber: Just as protein, fiber takes the longest time to digest, which creates the feeling of fullness and prevents you from binging later. So, add fiber-rich foods to your diet such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Check the type of fat and carbs you are consuming: Know what type of fat and carbs you are consuming every day because fat is of three types: saturated fat, trans fat, and unsaturated fat. According to healthline.com, “some studies have linked a high intake of trans fat with increased belly fat gain. Whether or not you are trying to lose weight, limiting your intake of trans fat is a good idea.” Ditch trans-fats which are commonly seen in junk foods, instant noodles and store-bought pastas and cookies, instead choose healthy fats such as cheese, nuts, and avocados. These foods generate empty calories and do no good to your body in terms of nutrition.
Similarly, choose healthy carbs in your diet such as sweet potatoes, whole grains and whole dals. Always make healthy choices while deciding a diet plan especially for weight loss.
- Avoid added sugar: Always opt for natural sugar alternatives such as jaggery, maple syrup or coconut sugar because refined sugar generates empty calories and too much of sugar go on to store as fat cells.
- Regular exercising: Being physically active is key to staying healthy and losing belly fat. The tummy is the most difficult part of your body to get rid of fat when you are trying to get into shape. Besides your looks, belly fat is bad for your health. This visceral fat accumulates between organs like the stomach and intestines and produces toxins that affect the functioning of your organs, putting you at a high risk of conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and more. A good exercise regimen combined with a healthy diet can address this visceral fat. Do some simple exercises such as crunches, planks, leg drop and so on.