There are several factors that can cause your lips to get chapped, cracked and dry. These include allergic reactions, dehydration, over-licking of the lips, vitamin deficiency, smoking, harsh weather and exposure to the sun. The condition can be painful for many people, while others are more bothered about the way their lips look and feel. Cracked lips can make it difficult to smile. Redness, flaking, dryness, cracking and sore or tender lips are the common symptoms. Here are some natural ways to address the condition:
- Applying a green tea bag is one of the best home remedies for the condition as it will help moisturize your lips. Press the used green tea bag against your lips for at least 4 minutes and release. Repeat daily for good results.
- Applying milk cream on your lips can improve the condition. The high fat content will moisturize the lips naturally.
- Aloe Vera is another good option for your dry lips. This natural moisturizer has anti-inflammatory properties which will help to soothe the lips. It also has hygroscopic properties that will moisturize dry lips.
- Cucumbers can be a good option to fight the chapped lips and make them smooth again. Take a slice of cucumber and gently rub it over your dry lips for noticeable results.
- Sugar is known to exfoliate the dead cells in chapped lips and can also help restore their natural softness. Combine sugar and olive oil and rub the mixture on your lips for a few minutes.
- Chapped lips caused by dry or cold weather can be treated with coconut oil, which is a natural moisturizer. Apply it several times a day to keep it moist. You can also use olive oil or castor oil instead.
- You can also exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub or soft toothbrush and apply some lip balm or food-safe oil.
- Quit smoking and make sure you are getting your vitamins.
Drink plenty of water and healthy fluids everyday and refrain from licking or picking at your lips if they are sore.