Having a tummy tuck in NYC is the ideal option for individuals who want to get rid of excess fat and sagging skin in the abdominal area and achieve toned and more youthful shape. It is an ideal option to tighten muscles that have stretched out with either pregnancy or weight gain. Complete abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure that involves a long recovery period. On the other hand, abdominal liposuction may be performed using minimally-invasive technology when abdominal muscles have not been excessively stretched and the skin has retained its elasticity. While this procedure may be one of the popular cosmetic surgeries, not everyone is an ideal candidate. Here are the key aspects that determine your candidacy for the procedure:
- Have a healthy, stable body weight: Tummy tuck surgery is not a weight loss procedure. If you are considering this plastic surgery treatment, you should lose weight to reach a healthy BMI, and make sure that your new weight is stable.
- Have loose skin in the abdominal area: Having a significant amount of excess skin around the abdominal area will allow the plastic surgeon to create fairly large incision to perform the procedure. Not having excess skin can cause tension in the scar leading to a “stretched look”. The surgeon will assess your skin’s elasticity, muscle laxity, degree of stretch marks and type of belly fat to determine whether a tummy tuck is right for you.
- Are in Overall Good Health: Candidates must be in good physical shape to tolerate the procedure. Even though a tummy tuck is a low-risk procedure, it is not recommended for patients who have serious underlying health issues. Health problems can affect the healing process.
- Lax abdominal muscles after delivery: Women who have undergone one or more pregnancies are good candidates for this procedure. For some, pregnancy may lead to muscle weakness or loose skin in the abdominal area. It is usually not possible for the muscles and skin to return to their pre-pregnancy condition with just diet and exercise. For these reasons, a tummy tuck is often part of a mommy makeover, a combination procedure designed to help mothers regain their pre-pregnancy body contour. It is important to wait till you decide to stop having children to undergo a tummy tuck. Pregnancy can separate the repaired muscles and re-stretch the skin around your belly, meaning you will have to undergo another procedure to restore the results of your first tummy tuck.
- Major weight loss: People who have undergone massive weight loss through bariatric surgery are ideal candidates for a tummy tuck. This body contouring procedure can reduce the excess skin and fat left behind after dramatic weight loss.
If you are considering a tummy tuck in New York City, consult an experienced plastic surgeon to determine your candidature for the treatment. Tummy tuck can have a positive impact on your body and enhance your self-confidence and overall quality of life. While a skilled New York plastic surgeon can provide you with optimal outcomes, you need to be prepared to commit to a healthy lifestyle to maintain the outcome.