Submental fat or a “double chin” is a common cosmetic concern that both men and women face. It is caused by the buildup of subcutaneous fat beneath the chin along with some amount of loose skin. The 2017 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Consumer Survey on Cosmetic Dermatologic Procedures indicated that 73% of respondents were bothered by “excess fat under the chin/neck” (www.thepmfajournal.com). In most cases, submental fat does not resolve with even strenuous diets and exercise.
Previously, surgical liposuction was the only option to address this concern. But today, NYC plastic surgeons use advanced modalities that allow patients to achieve their chin contouring goals without surgery. KYBELLA in NYC, neck liposuction and neck lift are three options that allow you to achieve your aesthetic goals without the risks associated with surgery. However, if you are considering double chin treatment, you need to know what exactly these procedures involve and the results you can expect to achieve with each.
- Neck Liposuction: Traditional liposuction procedures involve surgical incisions and lengthy downtime. But now, with technological advancements, neck liposuction is performed in a minimally invasive way. Surplus fat deposits under the chin and along the sides of the neck are suctioned out using advanced lipo techniques. Leading plastic surgeons use modalities such as Smartlipo Triplex, BodyTite™, or VASERlipo to perform the procedure. Benefits of the treatment include good skin retraction, minimal blood loss, and negligible surgical trauma and downtime. As it involves local anesthesia and small incisions, neck lipolysis is usually done as an outpatient procedure. In most cases, the treatment can be completed in just one session.
- KYBELLA: This is the latest cosmetic treatment for a double chin or submental fullness. The first and only FDA-approved double-chin injectable treatment, KYBELLA can address this concern without surgery. KYBELLA contains synthetic deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that promotes the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA destroys the fat cells, and once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat. This results in a noticeable reduction in submental fullness and leads to an improved chin profile. Performed by skilled surgeons, KYBELLA double chin treatment offers patients the same advantages as surgery but without the scarring and lengthy recovery time.
- Neck Lift: If loose skin and lax neck muscles are more of a concern than excess fat, a neck lift can help. A neck lift involves a set of procedures and plastic surgeons determine which would be the right option for the patient based on the extent of laxity and correction required. These procedures include:
- Cervicoplasty – removes excess skin from the neck
- Platysmaplasty – removes or makes changes in your neck muscles
- Liposuction – removes excess fat deposits
- Botox injections – addresses the horizontal lines or bands on the neck
Is there any difference between KYBELLA double chin treatment and chin liposuction? Well, yes. KYBELLA is a non-surgical solution to the double chin and treats small fat pockets without surgery, whereas neck liposuction can be invasive or minimally-invasive. KYBELLA involves only limited downtime and hardly any pain, allowing you to return to your routine activities in no time at all. Liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure that comes with some additional risks. Since you would be administered anesthesia, recovery time following liposuction also tends to be longer and can also leave a small scar in the area. An experienced plastic surgeon will evaluate patients carefully to determine which procedure will work best for them.
If you are looking for a quick and efficient way to address fat and sagginess in the face and neck area, EmbraceRF in NYC could be the best option. The latest innovation in facial aesthetics by InMode, EmbraceRF provides a long-lasting solution to the effects of facial aging and addresses the lower third of the face, specifically the neck and jowls. This breakthrough facial contouring procedure allows precise sculpting of the lower face and neck with little downtime and is a one-time treatment with permanent results. A combination therapy using Facetite and the new Morpheus8 technology for subdermal adipose remodeling, EmbraceRF takes just about an hour to perform.
All of these options come with obvious benefits, but the best way to know which would be right for you is to consult a skilled plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in performing neck contouring procedures. Choose a reliable AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice in NYC for safe, customized treatment.
A slew of new aesthetic concerns have cropped up as society evolves and becomes more sophisticated overtime. “Tech Neck” is a condition that developed with the overuse of technical devices such as mobiles, tablets and other technical devices. Repetitively leaning your head downwards to look at your technical device leads to wrinkles on the delicate skin on your neck, causing signs of aging more quickly than ever before. Fortunately, NYC plastic surgery practices offer effective solutions to address this concern. In addition to a neck lift surgery which is often a key component of a facelift in NYC, they offer innovative noninvasive options for those dreaded tech lines.
People spend over three hours a day looking down at their technical devices, which leads to the premature of aging of the neck. Can you prevent tech neck? The answer to this question is ‘yes’. To prevent tech neck wrinkles, make an effort to maintain good posture, that is, instead of looking down at your smartphone, bring the device to your eye level to reduce the strain on your spine and neck. Practice keeping your head at a 0 degree angle. Another way is to ensure that your neck is included in your facial skin care routine-your neck needs the same kind of skin care that your face requires. However, if you happen to develop those wrinkles on the neck, don’t worry as New York City plastic surgery practices offer many solutions:
- Neck lift: A neck lift can help to restore the youthful appearance of the neck. Based on the extent of laxity and correction required, your surgeon will determine the approach that will best meet your needs. When performed along with a facelift in NYC, the procedure can bring about a positive change in your appearance. There are also procedures to remove excess skin from the neck, and even remove or makes changes in the neck muscles. To learn more about this combination treatment, check out this blog.
- Liposuction: If your concern is a double chin with mild to minimal skin excess, then a liposuction procedure may be the right choice. The treatment removes fat cells permanently and can result in a well-defined, attractive jaw and neck. NYC surgeons offer minimally invasive techniques using sophisticated liposuction devices that blend safety with efficiency.
- Botox: A popular procedure, Botox can deal with the horizontal lines or bands on the neck. It helps relax the vertical muscle which gives the neck a ropey appearance.
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers: If the horizontal lines on your neck are deeply etched in, hyaluronic acid dermal fillers may be a good option. Results are instantly visible and if patients are not satisfied, the product can be dissolved quickly, making it a safe and effective option to address wrinkles on the neck.
- Fat melting injections: Kybella NYC is a FDA-approved fat melting injection treatment that permanently resolves a “double chin” or “turkey neck”. The deoxycholic acid in the injection can destroy fat cells when injected into the fat beneath the chin and improve the overall contour of the neck and jaw line.
- CoolMini: This is a non-invasive neck rejuvenation option that addresses submental fat by freezing it. The body naturally processes and removes the fat over time.
In an AAAASF-accredited practice offering body contouring in NYC, the surgeon will carefully evaluate your concerns and recommend the most suitable procedure to treat your aesthetic concerns.
Just as your other facial features, the chin is an important feature that contributes towards an attractive facial appearance. Double chin is a major aesthetic concern for around 68% Americans, as the American Society for Dermatological Surgery points out. This is caused by a thick deposit of subcutaneous fat behind the chin along with some amount of loose skin. Submental fullness or double chin can result from weight gain though you may develop this condition even if you are near your ideal weight. You cannot get rid of it with weight loss measures such as dieting and exercising. However, there are effective cosmetic procedures that can address this condition. Leading plastic surgery practices in NYC offer procedures such as Kybella, liposuction and neck lift to treat double chin.
Let us examine what these procedures involve and how effective they are.
- Liposuction: If your double chin appears an isolated pocket of fat with mild to minimal skin excess, then a lipo procedure may be the right choice. This treatment helps with permanent removal of fat cells and the end result would be a well-sculpted neck with an attractive contour. This is a one-hour procedure and you can resume normal activities pretty soon.
- Neck lift: If loose skin and lax neck muscles are more of a concern than the excess fat, a neck lift can help you. A skilled surgeon can strategically place the incisions behind the ears and/or the chin. The process involves separating the neck muscles (platysma) from the skin and tightening with sutures. Excess skin if any is trimmed away. Resuming strenuous activities may take 4 to 6 weeks but the typical recovery time is 10 to 14 days.
- Kybella: If you are looking for a less invasive solution, this FDA-approved non-surgical treatment can help you. The procedure can effectively contour and improve submental fullness while minimizing the downtime. The procedure involves administering the injection to targeted fat areas. While preventing future fat accumulation, the treatment helps in rapid destruction and absorption of fat cells. The body’s natural metabolic process clears the fat. The treatment targets only fat cells, leaving other cells and tissue unaffected. Those seeking further improvement in the results can take more treatments with a gap of 1 month between each session.
Approach an established plastic surgery practice in NYC that offers all these cosmetic procedures and let the surgeon decide which of the above treatments can be the best choice for you.
Neck lift and facial rejuvenation procedures are popular among both men and women as they offer a lot of aesthetic benefits. The face and neck are the areas that are usually exposed in most outfits and this treatment can correct aesthetic concerns related to these parts and make them look attractive. Many surgeons would advise a combination of neck lift and facial rejuvenation as it can bring about a dramatic and positive change in appearance. Neck is one of the first areas of the human body to show signs of aging and a neck lift can help restore the neck’s youthful appearance.
The procedure effectively treats the inelastic, loose skin and hanging platysmal bands of the neck. As a standalone procedure itself, neck lift offers a lot of benefits and with a combined procedure, a more balanced, natural-looking outcome could be achieved. Liposuction, mini facelift and full facelift are the procedures commonly performed in conjunction to provide attractive aesthetic results. Even though these procedures are more common, there are other procedures also which could be performed in combination based on the varying cosmetic concerns of each individual.
A combined facelift and neck lift ensures the following:
- Tightens and lifts the cheeks and neck
- Minimizes wrinkles in the lower face and neck region
- Minimizes jowls and restores angle between the chin and neck
- Eliminates “turkey neck” and vertical bands in the neck
- Removes excess fat from the lower face and neck area
- Tightens lax skin and muscles in the face and neck
Here are some benefits of a combined procedure:
- A more harmonious look
- Single time surgical trauma
- Enjoy the benefits in a single recovery period
- Restores a youthful appearance
More than convenience and comfort, the end results matter the most when surgeons recommend a combined treatment. These procedures are usually performed to eliminate the signs of aging and when the aging effects are addressed in the entire area, a much more natural-looking appearance is brought about.