Many men find that even hours of rigorous workouts cannot help them achieve the desired definition and muscularity in the chest area. Fortunately, pectoral or chest implants for men provide the solution. It has become a popular option among men, particularly for men who are athletic and want to be able to show off a more sculpted, masculine chest.
Factors such as genetics, growth defects, injury and other conditions can restrict the growth of the chest muscles. Leading NYC plastic surgery practices offering pectoral implants for men provide customized solutions to help men achieve their aesthetic goals. The surgeons can determine the correct shape and size of implant that will provide the best results for each candidate and also have the artistic skills to provide attractive, natural looking results.
To be a good candidate for pectoral implants, you need to satisfy the following criteria:
- Have underdeveloped pectoral muscles and want to improve them
- Are athletic and want to enhance chest definition and contour
- Have an asymmetrical chest
- Are healthy and have realistic expectations
The pectoral implant procedure is performed under general anesthesia and takes about two hours to complete. It involves:
- Inserting the implants under the pectoral muscle.
- An incision of about 2 inches in length is made in the armpit.
- A pocket is then created to place the implant under the pectoralis major muscle.
- The implant is fitted completely under the existing muscle in most cases
- Once the implants have been placed, the surgeon carefully checks for symmetry and makes any final adjustments.
- Incision is then closed with sutures, which will dissolve overtime
- To create a more dramatic aesthetic enhancement, if you require, the surgeon can perform liposuction or other body contouring options along with the placement of pectoral implants.
During the healing process, the implant becomes surrounded by the scar tissue pocket, where it stays permanently. You won’t be able to feel them that easily when the surgery is performed correctly and the implants are placed so that they are well hidden by the tissues. Just like breast implants for women, pectoral implants would be noticeable and easier to feel if they are placed above the muscle.
Men undergoing pectoral implant procedure need to be aware about the significance of proper post-operative care. It is very important for patients to diligently follow the aftercare instructions that their plastic surgeon gives them. They will be given detailed instructions about their post-op care, which includes information about drains, normal symptoms, and potential signs of complications. Here are some important things you need to know about what comes after male pec implant surgery:
- Your surgeon will recommend wearing a compression garment over the treated area.
- Patients are usually be allowed to return home on the same day of your surgery, although sometimes they may need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Patients generally experience mild to moderate discomfort postoperatively, which is usually controlled with pain medication.
- The surgeon will advise you not to lift your arms for 2 days post-op.
- Light activity is permitted during the recovery period. Routine activities can be resumed two weeks after the procedure, while exercise should be delayed for about two months.
- Maintaining a balanced, fiber-rich diet is important. Avoid sugary and fatty foods.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking healthy fluids cleanses the body and reduces swelling.
- Some sort of leakage is common during the initial days following the treatment.
- Your incisions will heal in approximately 14 days and the implant healing will be complete in about 6 weeks.
- If the pain is extreme or does not resolve, contact your surgeon.
The amount of time taken for recovery varies greatly among individuals.
AAASF-accredited plastic surgery practices offering chest implants for men in NYC provide customized solutions. Skilled and experienced surgeons in these practices will consider factors such as body type, symmetry, proportions, and individual preferences and expectations to provide the best results.