More and more women are opting to have breast augmentation in NYC to improve breast size and contour, and boost self-image and confidence. However, for smooth recovery from breast augmentation surgery, patients need to carefully follow all the pre- and post-operative care instructions – prescribed by their surgeon. One of the most important aspects of your recovery will be food choices. Breast augmentation patients need to maintain a healthy diet during the recovery period.
As in other surgical procedures, patients need to follow a special diet plan before and after breast implant surgery. A proactive approach to recovery with foods to help the body heal is crucial for smooth recovery after breast augmentation in NYC. Proper nutrition will boost the immune system and promote overall health.
Let’s check out the foods you should eat to help your body get all the nutrition it needs to heal after breast augmentation:
- Lean Protein Sources: Protein is one of the most important nutrients the body needs for healing. Increase intake of lean protein in their diet by including certain foods such as chicken, seafood, eggs, yogurt, and light cheese. These protein-rich foods – that support better and faster healing – also have a nutritional punch, including iron and amino acids that is critical for building tissue.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. This will provide a variety of vitamins and nutrients such as fiber and antioxidants necessary for the body to continue functioning normally and fight infection. Oranges, grapefruit, berries, and peppers are rich in vitamin C and increase the collagen production which helps with tissue regeneration.
- Zinc Rich Foods: Found in grains, nuts, and many types of meat, zinc will promote recovery after surgery. It is important for wound healing and helps your body build new cells.
- Dark Leafy Greens: Eat dark leafy greens such as kale, spinach, bok choy, and swiss chard along with pineapple and vitamin C-rich foods.
- Healthy Fats: Incorporating healthy fats in your diet is important during the recovery period. Fat plays a crucial role in faster healing. Fat helps the body absorb vitamins, strengthens the immune system, and provides a long-lasting energy source. Eat healthy fats found in food products such as avocados, olive and coconut oils, seeds, and nuts.
Proper nutrition is critical for overall physical wellbeing. So nurture your body before and after cosmetic surgery with the right food. Make these foods part of your daily routine and keep your body nourished.
Just as you need to include the right foods in your diet, there are certain foods you need to avoid:
- Avoid foods that may cause gas such as cabbage and beans.
- It is best to stick to low sodium foods before surgery. Salty and junk foods do not offer any beneficial nutrients that the body needs to heal.
- To prevent weight gain during the breast augmentation recovery period, avoid processed foods such as chips, crackers, frozen desserts, and so on.
- Avoid tomato products, coffee and carbonated beverages prior to surgery as they may interfere with the anesthesia and other drugs prescribed by the surgeon
- Skip spicy foods as they will affect your intestinal flora.
Along with focusing on eating nutritious food, it’s also important stay hydrated before and after breast augmentation surgery. Proper fluid intake is critical to maintain oxygen levels in bloodstream, which will speed healing and support all aspects of recovery. It also flushes out excess fluid and reduces swelling post the procedure. Fluid options include:
- Plain water
- Water added with natural flavor using lime, lemon, or cucumber slices
- Hot or cold herbal tea
- Smoothies or soup
- Coconut water
As alcoholic beverages and tobacco can contract the blood vessels and prevent proper blood circulation, patients will be advised to quit at least two weeks before and after cosmetic surgery. Patients will also be advised to avoid medications that have aspirin as they can thin the blood and increase bleeding.
To ensure long-lasting results, healthy habits should be started before the treatment. Though patients are advised to shed excess weight before the procedure, going in for a crash diet or extreme weight loss before breast augmentation is not advised. These regimens will deprive the body of nutrients that are essential for healing.
Weight gain can alter your results. Patients who follow a balanced and healthy diet will be more comfortable with continuing these eating habits during the recovery and beyond. This will help breast augmentation results to last for many years.
If you are considering breast augmentation in Manhattan, NYC, choose an AAAASF accredited plastic surgery practice that provides the service of surgeons who are experts in performing this procedure. Such surgeons will provide you with pre- and post-surgical instructions including a detailed, personalized diet plan to follow during the recovery period.