A double chin is the extra layers of submental fat that form under your skin. This aesthetic concern is associated with weight gain, genetics, poor posture and loss of skin elasticity due to aging. Plastic surgery in NYC includes various options to address a double chin and help patients achieve a well-shaped jawline. Double chin treatment involves removing the excess fat and sagging skin under the chin which is unresponsive to even vigorous diet and exercise.
It’s a misconception that only people who are overweight can have a double chin – even thin people can develop one. The factors that can contribute to a double chin are:
- It runs in your family
- Weight gain
- Poor posture that can weaken the chin and neck muscles
- Loss of skin elasticity
Plastic surgeons in NYC offer various treatment options for a double chin and will recommend the best treatment based on your considerations and goals.
- KYBELLA: This is an FDA-approved non-surgical treatment to remove submental fat. Kybella in NYC is an injectable treatment that contains a drug called deoxycholic acid which promotes the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. The injections destroy the fat cells and prevents further accumulation of fat. It can provide you with a chiseled jawline. Generally, for optimal results, 3-6 treatment sessions are required with a gap of 4-6 weeks. It is a good alternative to liposuction surgery.
- The procedure is safe and efficient
- Minimal to no downtime
- No anesthesia required
- Minimal pain
- Permanently destroys fat cells
- Significantly improves facial balance
To be a good candidate:
- You should be 18 years or older with moderate to severe fat beneath the chin.
- You should be healthy and close to your ideal body weight
During the consultation, patients should inform their surgeon about any medical conditions or allergies they have.
- CHIN LIPOSUCTION USING MINIMALLY INVASIVE TECHNOLOGY
Traditional liposuction procedure involves surgical incisions and lengthy recovery time. But advanced minimally invasive techniques remove unwanted fat and tighten skin – without long incisions or scars
- Removes unwanted fat
- Reduces saggy skin
- Tightens skin by redistributing facial fat
- Minimum downtime and risks
- Enhance the overall appearance of the face.
The minimally invasive liposuction modalities that are used by NYC plastic surgeons need only local anesthesia and involve minimal swelling, bleeding and scarring are:
- SmartLipo Triplex (laser assisted) – SmartLipo treatment uses laser energy to melt and effectively remove excess fat and tightens the loose skin in the area.
- BodyTite (RF assisted) – This radiofrequency assisted body contouring procedure controls heating to make sure that the results are consistent, avoiding under-treated and overtreated areas. It removes excess fat in neck area and simultaneously tightens your skin and needs less recovery time than other options.
- VASERlipo (ultrasound assisted) – The procedure uses advanced ultrasound technology. It is precise and tissue-selective, targets fat and protects other tissues from damage.
Good candidates are those who are healthy and have good skin elasticity.
- NECKLIFT – If your concern is loose skin and lax neck muscles rather than excess fat, a necklift is the best option. This involves a set of procedures to lift the muscles of the neck. Plastic surgeons decide the right option for you based on the extent of laxity and correction required. The downtime depends on the individual. Typically, patient can return to their daily activities within 2 weeks after surgery.
These procedures include:
- Cervicoplasty: Excess skin from the neck is removed.
- Platysmaplasty: Make changes to your neck muscles.
- Liposuction: Excess fat is removed.
- Botox injections: Horizontal lines or bands on the neck are removed.
As in the case of all cosmetic surgical treatments, ideal candidates are healthy persons who do not smoke, and without any medical conditions that impair healing. Candidates should have a positive outlook and realistic expectations.
There are many reasons for a double chin. If it is due to weight gain, you can control your diet, exercise, and wait for the results. However, if these measures don’t provide the desired results, treatments like Kybella in NYC, chin liposuction and necklift surgery could help. It’s important to choose a plastic surgeon who has extensive expertise in utilizing advanced technologies to provide the best results.