The Brazilian butt lift procedure involves removing unwanted fat from different areas of the body and transferring to buttocks to enhance size and shape. Plastic surgery practices offering Brazilian butt lift in Manhattan, NYC, NY offer customized solutions to help patient meet their specific goals.
No matter how carefully the surgeons perform the procedure and how advanced the techniques are for fat transfer, not all of the fat transferred will survive. Only a portion of the fat graft will survive in its new location. The proportion of fat cells that will survive would depend on various factors such as the total volume of fat transferred, the tightness and elasticity of skin in new site, and how you care for yourself during the recovery process. Fortunately, there are several things that you can do following Brazilian butt lift surgery to maximize the survivability of the fat graft:
- Wear the Compression Garment – After the procedure, your surgeon will most likely advise you to wear a support garment around-the-clock. You will be given instructions on how long you need to wear the garment and about wearing any other garments during your recovery. It’s important not to wear tight or restrictive clothing during your healing process as it will squeeze and destroy the newly transferred fat. One option is to use a compression garment with the rear end cut out so that the garment will not kill the fat grafts before they have a chance solidify (www.plasticsurgery.org).
- Eat healthy – Your body needs extra calories to supply blood to new fat cells and to recover from the surgery. Eat nutrient-dense foods will provide your body with all the vitamins and minerals it needs to support its recovery. In addition, adding more healthy fats to your diet may be beneficial during your recovery.
- Avoid Driving – You need to take at least 2 weeks off from driving after BBL. The reason is sitting on your newly transferred fat will squish the fat cells. Other reason may be as you operate your car, you need to push down on the pedals, which also pushes back against your buttocks and lower back. Therefore, BBL patients should not drive for at least a few weeks after surgery. This will help keep a larger percentage of the transferred fat intact.
- Do not sit directly on your buttocks – You should avoid sitting directly on your buttocks and minimize sitting time for at least eight weeks (or more) after the procedure. In fact, this is one of the most important recovery tips for BBL. When you want to sit, use a donut pillow or inflatable pillow. To avoid putting pressure on the fat graft, place the pillow behind your legs. You will be also instructed to sleep on your stomach or sides for the first eight weeks after your surgery.
- Do not smoke – You should avoid smoking after BBL, as smoking affects the flow of oxygen and nutrients through the blood stream, which in turn, will destroys your body’s ability to heal. After the fat transfer procedure, the newly transferred blood cells need to re-establish blood supply in order to survive. Smoking makes it harder for the body to build new blood vessels and affects the quality of blood which the fat cells receive during their recovery.
- Exercise – Avoid high impact activities, especially any type of bouncing immediately after surgery. Light activities such as fast-paced walking can be performed after one month. Most patients return to normal activities six to eight weeks after the surgery. More strenuous activities can be performed after the fat cells have stabilized.
- Drink plenty of fluids – In addition to drinking, you need to provide your body with electrolytes, the salts and minerals to keep it hydrated.
- Maintain a stable weight – Once you have healed and the fat cells are established, the shape of your butt will be permanent and the fat cells will work like any other fat cells in the body. If you lose weight, you may lose some of the volume in the buttocks as the fat shrinks, and if you put on weight, the fat in your buttocks may grow. If you gain weight, the areas that underwent liposuction will be the last to accumulate fat. Staying at a healthy weight is the best way to maintain BBL results.
If you are planning to undergo BBL, make sure to choose a surgeon who has extensive experience in performing the procedure. This is very important for your safety and to achieve optimal outcomes. Following your surgeon’s post-op instructions will promote smooth recovery.