Just like women, men too have cosmetic concerns, especially when it comes to body contour. Excess fat does not go away even with rigorous workouts and diets and that’s why men are turning to liposuction to achieve that well contoured look that can give them that edge – socially and career-wise. It therefore comes as no surprise that liposuction stood third in the list of top cosmetic surgery procedures for men in 2013 according to statistics from American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Up to 24000 lipolyis procedures were performed for men in 2013, up by 3% from 2012.
Here are some common male aesthetic concerns that liposuction can resolve:
- Enlarged male breasts or gynecomastia: Many men develop fat in the region of the chest, causing much embarrassment and undermining confidence. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), about 40 to 60 percent of men suffer from this condition. Lipolysis removes the excess fat and sculpts the chest for a masculine look. ASPS reports that breast reduction ranks fourth in the top five male cosmetic surgical procedures for men in 2013 with a total of 22,939 procedures and higher by 11% from 2012.
- Protruding abdomen: This plastic surgery procedure can remove excess fat build up in the abdominal region. Combined with a tummy tuck to remove excess skin left over after fat removal, the treatment provides a tighter, well-toned abdomen. According to ASPS, tummy tuck procedures went up by 4% in 2012-2013 and by 97% in 2000-2013.
- Bulging neck: Liposuction addresses the fat in the area to provide a well-defined chin and neck.
- Double chin: Sagging fat in the lower half of the face is common among men who are overweight. Liposuction can provide a well-defined jaw line by removing the fat and tightening the skin.
- Upper arms sag: Fat in the triceps is hard to remove with even hours in the gym. By selectively targeting these fat deposits, liposuction provides more sculpted upper arms.
The appeal of this body sculpting procedure also lies in the fact that it can be performed on an outpatient basis using advanced technologies such as SmartLipo Triplex, BodyTite and VASERlipo. With the right plastic surgeon, complications and side effects are minimal too, and you can get back to routine in a short time.