Are you concerned about obvious signs of facial aging such as fold, wrinkles, line and creases? Then it’s time to consider a facelift in Manhattan. Skilled plastic surgeons in Manhattan, NYC perform facelift surgery to address these concerns and provide men and women with a more youthful, refreshed appearance.
Facial aging occurs due to skin changes and changes in the deeper soft tissues of the face. Natural aging, skin type, gravity, and sun exposure are among the many factors that cause obvious signs of aging. While the process is natural, facial aging can make many people less confident or even feel they have aged too fast. Facelift surgery can address the effects of facial aging. This procedure can take years off your appearance by eliminating facial creases, folds, wrinkles and sagging skin.
Most people considering a facelift have many questions about the procedure. Here are the answers to frequently asked questions about this cosmetic surgical procedure:
What concerns can a facelift in Manhattan address?
A facelift can improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck such as:
- Mid-face sagging
- Creases below the lower eyelids
- Creases along the nose extending to the corner of the mouth (nasolabial folds)
- Facial fat
- Double chin
Are you a good candidate for a facelift?
Although the procedure is relatively simple, not everyone is a suitable candidate. Good candidates for a facelift include:
- Individuals with good skin elasticity, a strong bone structure, and loose skin on their face or neck
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations
However, you are not an ideal candidate if:
- You take blood-thinning medications or supplements
- If you have a history of repeated weight gain and loss which affect the shape of your face and condition of your skin.
How is a facelift performed?
Traditional facelifts involve the use of various surgical techniques to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck. The incision typically begins in the hairline at the temples, continues around the ear and ends in the lower scalp. Fat may be sculpted or grafts placed in areas with volume loss, such as the cheeks, under-eye areas and lips. The procedure also involves repositioning of the facial fat pads and sometimes, lifting of the deeper layers of the face, and the muscles. Excess skin is removed and the remaining skin is redraped over the uplifted contours. Another incision under the chin may be needed to improve aging concerns in the neck. The incisions are closed with sutures or skin adhesives.
What are techniques used to perform a facelift?
A facelift can be performed using surgical methods and also minimally-invasive modalities. The surgical options include:
- Short scar face lift– limited length of incision to behind the ear and is ideal for younger patients with mild to moderate aging
- Subperiosteal lift– tightens the deeper tissues
- Deep plane lift– reshapes the whole face including the neck, brow and both upper and lower eyelids
- Mid-face lift – improves area beginning below the eye to the lower cheek area, including nasolabial folds
Expert NYC plastic surgeons perform a facelift using advanced minimally-invasive facial rejuvenation options that involve hardly any downtime while providing dramatic results. These include:
- KYBELLA: This injectable is FDA-approved for treating a double chin. It eliminates the fat and improves definition in the neck and jaw line.
- EmbraceRF: An innovative facial aesthetics technology by InMode, this minimally invasive procedure provides a long-lasting solution to the effects of facial aging. EmbraceRF in NYC is an innovative scarless facial contouring procedure that addresses the lower third of the face, specifically the neck and jowls.
How is EmbraceRF different from other facial contouring procedures?
Unlike other existing treatments, physicians can strategically determine in how much fat is removed, left behind or molded. The procedure allows the plastic surgeon to “mold” the fat of the face in strategic positions and address laxity with the FDA-cleared Subdermal Adipose Remodeling Device (SARD) and Morpheus8. This new concept of facial rejuvenation is unique to EmbraceRF which allows for precise sculpting of the face and body by allowing the physician to balance the amount of fat removed, molded, and retained.
How do you know that you need a facelift?
If you are considering the procedure, look for signs that indicate you are ready to have this cosmetic surgical procedure.
Is age or timing a factor while considering facelift?
Timing is an important consideration when it comes to having a facelift. If you notice mild laxity, it should ideally be corrected before it gets worse. In most cases, laxity becomes obvious between the ages of 40 and 60. Patients who get a conventional facelift before age 50 may see optimal results because they tend to have more skin elasticity.
What is the recovery process like?
After the treatment, it is essential to take care of your skin to enjoy smooth recovery and for long-lasting results. Moreover, the operative technique and the skills and experience of the surgeon also matter when it comes to recovering smoothly after any cosmetic surgical procedure.
How long does a facelift last?
Depending on how old you were when you had a facelift, a proper facelift should last 10+ years. Taking care of your skin will facelift results last longer.
If you are considering a facelift in Manhattan, then choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice that has surgeons who have the specialized skill required to perform this procedure. Only an expert can provide optimal results.