An increasing number of men and women are opting to have body contouring in NYC. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeon, there were 17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in the United States in 2017, a 2 percent increase over 2016. There are different reasons why a person might want to have plastic surgery. Reliable plastic surgeons evaluate patient goals carefully to ensure that they made their decision to have a procedure for the right reasons.Such assessments are also done to determine if the patient has plastic surgery addiction.
Women who consider a breast lift or facelift in NYC generally do so to improve their appearance. However, not all individuals are good candidates fora procedure like facelift surgery if they are experiencing any emotional distress at the time they want to change their appearance. Importantly,changing your appearance is something very personal and is something that should be done for yourself and not for anyone else.
In addition to aesthetic reasons, procedures can be performed for medical reasons. Let’s take a look at some sound reasons not to have plastic surgery.
- Societal and peer pressure: A recent article from the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) stresses that peer and societal pressure should not be a reason for having a cosmetic procedure. Such pressure can be very difficult on teenagers. Teens tend to compare their bodies with models, movie stars, and other celebrities and end up seeking plastic surgery to look like them. This is not acceptable. Media images of celebrity stars are often photoshopped and flaws are covered with makeup, editing, and enhancements. Sometimes, even adults feel self-conscious about their age when they are around younger people and think they should have a procedure to look more youthful.
- To please or impress someone else: Plastic surgeons often come across people who want to have a procedure just to impress someone, which could be their spouse, boyfriend, or friends. It’s important to understand that you should never consider plastic surgery simply because someone else wants you to change your appearance. You should have a procedure only if you want to do it, and for no other reason. So before you go under the knife or the needle, ask yourself, “Am I doing this for myself?”
- Want to look like a celebrity or someone else: A good candidate for cosmetic surgery would have realistic expectations about the outcome. Some people become obsessed with the looks of their favorite actress or singer and think that having the same procedure their idol did would create the same results for them. Whatever cosmetic surgical procedure you have, you need to keep in mind that plastic surgery is not a magic wand that can transform your looks completely and make you look like your favorite celebrity.
- If you have serious health concerns: Not everyone is a good candidate for plastic surgery. People with health issues such as heart disease, hemophilia or a bleeding disorder, lung disease, heavy smoking/drinking, high blood pressure, obesity, severe allergies and high cholesterol are supposed to have a discussion with their primary physician or specialist to make sure plastic surgery is safe. It’s important to prioritize to your health over surgery for aesthetic benefit.
- To follow a current trend: Don’t opt to have a procedure just because it’s a trend-setter as you may end up being disappointed. Trends are temporary, but surgery is not. Have a cosmetic procedure only if it can address a flaw that you are really unhappy about.
- For quick weight loss: Body contouring procedures are not weight loss procedures. While liposuction does involve fat removal, it is not option for huge weight loss. Surgical treatment for extreme weight loss is performed by bariatric surgeons. Liposuction is an option for people who are close to their ideal weight but cannot get rid of stubborn deposits of fat and improve body contour with just diet and exercise.
So if you are considering plastic surgery, make sure that your decision is based on the right reasons. Reputable plastic surgeons who offer safe and effective body contouring in NYC also guide their patients in making informed decisions.