Cosmetic surgery on the face has become main stream and facelift surgery is one of the most popular procedures. It can improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck such as mid-face sagging, lower eyelids creases, creases along the nose extending to the corner of the mouth (nasolabial folds), facial fat, jowls developing in the cheeks and jaw, and double chin. According to a study published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery®, the official medical journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), patients who have undergone face lift surgery rate themselves as looking an average of 12 years younger. Facelift in New York City is performed using a variety of techniques.
In established plastic surgery practices, patients can choose between surgical and minimally invasive facelifts based on their needs. Conventional facelifts involve the use of various surgical techniques to improve the visible signs of aging in the face and neck. Facelift procedures are also performed using advanced minimally-invasive modalities such as BodyTite™ (radiofrequency assisted), Smartlipo Triplex (laser assisted) and VASERlipo (ultrasound assisted). Patients find these techniques less intimidating and a skilled plastic surgeon can provide very natural-looking results. EmbraceRF in NYC is a new breakthrough, one-time nonsurgical facial contouring procedure that can address aging issues and rejuvenate the face and neck area safely and effectively. However, regardless of whether it’s a surgical or minimally invasive procedure, taking care of your skin after face lift surgery is essential to enjoy optimal and long-lasting results. Here are some self-care tips that you can follow along with your plastic surgeon’s instructions to recover safely and smoothly:
- Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions.
- Don’t remove the crusting scabs that have formed on your wound.
- Swelling following the procedure is quite normal and will subside soon. Placing ice on the treatment site can help swelling to subside faster. Don’t apply the ice directly-place a thin towel around the ice bag and place this on the surgical site. Do this as much as possible for the first 3 days after surgery. Either ice or heat is permitted after 72 hours. If you notice excessive swelling after facelift surgery, contact your surgeon immediately.
- Check your shampoo and soap with your surgeon to see whether they safe to use over treatment site.
- Wear clothes that have a front opening rather than clothes that are pulled over the head.
- Avoid excessive pressure or motion on and around the incisions.
- Avoid vigorous or aerobic activity or sports.
- Avoid direct sun exposure to the incision for three weeks and use a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher thereafter.
- Avoid using makeup.
- Sun exposure can compromise your facelift results. So when you go outside for more than a few minutes, wear a hat and sunscreen to prevent this. The sun’s UV rays are considered to be the number one cause of signs of aging, as they break down collagen and elastin, accelerating the appearance of lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. Avoiding sun exposure will also help minimize your facelift scars. Use a moisturizer that has an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) to protect against everyday sun exposure.
- Avoid coloring, bleaching or perming hair for at least six weeks.
- Refrain from smoking, consuming tobacco or nicotine at least four weeks prior to the procedure as these can impair and delay healing.
- After your face contouring surgery, sleep with the head of the bed elevated for 1-2 weeks.
If you are considering a facelift in New York City, you should be prepared to take few days off of work for the surgery, recovery, and long-lasting optimal results. Even if you are looking for minimally-invasive techniques such as EmbraceRF that provides results similar to a facelift-without incisions or scars, there would be some downtime involved.
The best facelift surgeons are those that have extensive experience in performing facelift procedures using the latest techniques. Such surgeons will also allow patients to view facelift surgery before and after photos and facelift surgery videos of their patients so that they get a better understanding of what to expect.
A reliable surgeon will work closely with you to determine which technique is best for you after conducting a detailed assessment of your concerns as well as physiological considerations such as the amount of facial fat, degree of sun damage, quality and thickness of skin, extent of skin laxity, and condition of the neck and jowls. Undergoing the procedure in an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice is important for a safe outpatient surgical experience.