Excess abdominal skin and fat at abdominal area are major aesthetic concerns among many men and women. Factors such as excessive weight loss, pregnancy or genetics are usually the underlying reasons for these problems. Tummy tuck surgery removes excess fat and skin around the stomach and tightens the muscles of the abdominal wall to result in a firmer midsection. This cosmetic surgical procedure is the ideal option when diet and exercise cannot address a sagging and loose abdomen. Tummy tuck in NYC is performed using FDA approved, minimally-invasive advanced liposuction devices such as BodyTite, Smartlipo Triplex and VASER lipo. However, not everyone has a clear view about the procedure. Here are the answers to frequently asked questions about tummy tuck in Manhattan:
- What are the concerns that a tummy tuck can address?
The procedure is effective in fixing:
- A pot belly
- Stretched abdominal regions and droopy skin as a consequence of single or multiple deliveries in women
- Flaccidity caused by loss of a significant amount of weight
- What doesa Tummy Tuck involve?
Excess fat and sagging skin in the abdomen are the result of factors such as genetics, pregnancy and excessive weight loss. Also known as abdominoplasty, tummy tuck surgery is an effective option to remove this excess fat and loose skin. The procedure provides a trimmer, streamlined midsection. In most cases, tummy tuck also restores weakened or separated muscles.
- What are the different types of tummy tuck procedures?
AAAASF accredited plastic surgery practices in NYC offer different types of tummy tuck procedures:
- Complete or Full Abdominoplasty: In a complete tummy tuck, two incisions are needed. One is placed in the lower abdomen from one hip to the other, and a second one is made around the navel. Excess fat and skin are removed and the muscles tightened to provide a firmer, flatter abdomen.
- Partial Abdominoplasty or Mini Tummy Tuck: This procedure is suitable to address a lesser degree of skin laxity and mild lower abdominal skin excess. A mini tummy tuck requires only a small incision made above the pubic region.
- High lateral tension Abdominoplasty: This procedure tightens the abdominal muscles and skin as well as the skin that lies just below the breasts on the upper abdomen, providing a visibly improved contour.
- Liposuction-only Abdominoplasty: This procedure is ideal for younger patients with good skin elasticity and moderate fat deposits.
- Brazilian Tummy Tuck: This procedure is a good option when the patient has more excess fat than skin. As the incision for this procedure is placed very low in the pubic area, the surgical scar will not be visible even in a low-cut bikini. The treatment pulls the waist in and removes excess skin, resulting in a smaller looking waist. It also pulls up the pubic area that tends to drop with age and pregnancy, and can even reduce incontinence that occurs after pregnancy.
- How is the procedure performed?
NYC plastic surgeons are skilled in diverse abdominoplasty techniques and will determine the right option for you based on the extent of correction required. In a full Abdominoplasty, abdominal muscles that may have become stretched out or loose over time are tightened. A complete Abdominoplasty is performed under general anesthesia and involves incisions. Minimally invasive techniques such as laser-assisted Smartlipo Triplex, radiofrequency-assisted BodyTite or ultrasound-assisted VASER require only local anesthesia and can be performed on an outpatient basis. These safe body contouring technologies can provide optimal results with high-definition sculpting capabilities and proven tissue coagulation and skin tightening benefits.
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
An ideal candidate for this procedure is the one who:
- Has a protruding belly and abdominal muscles in the belly area
- Is in overall good health
- Has experienced significant weight loss
- Has a healthy, stable body weight
- Has a positive attitude and realistic expectations about the outcome
- What are the benefits of Tummy Tuck surgery?
- A flatter, smoother abdomen
- Effective fat reduction and improved body contour
- Tightens sagging skin and weak muscles
- Proven tissue coagulation
Apart from cosmetic benefits, Abdominoplasty offers functional benefits. It can reduce common post-childbirth concerns such as back pain and incontinence, according to a study. The functional improvements involve restoration of strength and stability in the abdominal and pelvic region as the operation includes repair of the abdominal muscle separation that can occur after pregnancy.
- Are there any risks or complications?
Minor swelling and bruising can be expected and are quite common after the procedure. Wearing a compression garment as recommended by the plastic surgeon can reduce swelling and also support the abdomen as it heals.
- What does recovery after Tummy Tuck involve?
Even if the procedure is performed using minimally invasive techniques, it can take some time to recover from the surgery and patients should take care to follow their surgeon’s advice. Recovery time will vary depending upon which type of tummy tuck procedure you have underwent. In most cases, the recovery period ranges from 2-4 weeks. During this period, patients are instructed to refrain from any heavy lifting or exercise. Age and medical conditions are factors that can impact recovery.
- How long will the results last?
The answer to this question relies on how well you maintain your outcome. The results can last many years if you put in right efforts to maintain your tummy tuck outcome. Follow your surgeons advise and live a healthy lifestyle because, weight changes and pregnancy can affect the results. In fact, aging also may have an impact on the outcome as the tissues get relaxed gradually, though not to the extent before the surgery.
If you are considering a tummy tuck in NYC, an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice, as such practices would have experienced and skilled plastic surgeons. The right surgeon will be ready to answer all your questions related to the treatment and guide you in taking an informed decision.