Every woman desires firm, perky, youthful looking breasts. However breast sag is inevitable at a certain stage in life due to factors as aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight fluctuations, gravity, and genetics. Getting a breast lift in NYC can help resolve sagginess. The procedure involves tightening the tissues and removing excess skin. The procedure may slightly differ from patient to patient depending on the technique used and the extent of the surgery. However, the steps involved a breast will remain the same in all cases.
A breast lift can be done using various incision patterns and techniques. The plastic surgeon will determine the appropriate technique for each patient based on factors such as:
- Breast size and shape
- The size and position of the areolas
- The degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and elasticity, and amount of extra skin present
If you’re considering getting a breast lift in NYC, it’s important to be familiar with the steps involved in the procedure and also discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your plastic surgeon before moving forward:
- Anesthesia: The first step is anesthesia. The choices include general and local anesthesia. Newer breast lift techniques such as scarless breast lift in NYC use local anesthesia, freeing patients of the concerns associated with general anesthesia. Your surgeon will recommend the best option for you.
- Incision placement: Once the treatment area is numb, incisions will be made to remove the tissue and skin. Plastic surgeons use various types of incisions to perform the procedure. The type of incision used will depend on the patient’s existing breast tissue, extent of excess skin to be removed, and personal goals. The incision patterns used in breast lift surgery are as follows:
- Crescent Lift: The incision made halfway around the top half of the edge of the areola either above or below the muscle this technique is used when there is a small amount of sagging and in some instances when the breast lift is performed along with breast augmentation.
- Peri-Areolar or “Donut” Lift: A circular incision is made on or around the perimeter of the areola and then a second outer incision to remove the “donut” of skin around it. The nipple is sutured back to the breast skin, tightening it in the process. This technique is effective to reduce areola size and correct mild sagging with a single scar, which would be nearly invisible after the incision heals.
- Vertical or “Lollipop” Lift: A common type of incision pattern for a breast lift, the vertical lift involves two incisions: one around the edge of the areola and the other running vertically from the bottom of the areola, creating a “lollipop” shape. It allows the surgeon to remove excess skin, preserve the nipple, and reshape the entire breast with easily hidden scars.
- Inverted T or “Anchor” Lift: If you need to correct extensive sagging, then this conventional mastopexy technique is the best option. It will allow the plastic surgeon to remove a significant amount of excess skin and sagging tissue. It involves 3 incisions: one around the edge of the areola, one vertically from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease, and one along the inframammary fold, hidden in the breast crease. Used when a breast reduction and lift are performed, it causes visible scarring, but the scars will fade significantly with proper post-operative care.
As scarring is a major concern among many prospective patients, surgeons will recommend the method that will cause the least scarring.
- Lifting and reshaping breasts: After the incision placement, the surgeon will lift and reshape the sagging breast tissue to create firmer, natural looking breasts. The nipple and areola are repositioned to a more youthful and raised position, and excess breast skin is removed to compensate for a loss of elasticity. Once the reshaping and lifting of the breasts is done, the skin will be re-draped. If needed, enlarged areolas are reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- Incision closure: After your breasts are reshaped and excess skin is removed, the remaining skin is tightened as the incisions are closed with either traditional sutures, which will have to be removed in a week or 10 days, or with dissolvable sutures, which will be absorbed by the body in about the same time. Sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts.
Common results and changes
The results of breast lift surgery are usually visible immediately. Post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision lines will fade over time. The final outcome will appear over the next few months as shape of the breast and position continue to settle. Initially, the incision scars will appear red and lumpy. Even though these scars are permanent, they will soften and become thin and white within one to two years. Scars from breast lift surgery can be concealed by bras and bathing suits. However, if you are overly worried about scarring, consider getting a scarless breast lift in NYC. The procedure reshapes, tightens and lifts the breasts without the visible scarring associated with a surgical breast lift.
The minimally invasive scarless breast lift is performed using BodyTite™, an FDA-approved device that uses Radiofrequency Assisted Liposuction (RFAL) technology to provide immediate, natural-looking results with minimal risk and downtime. The BodyTite electrode is applied to the treatment area, while the device’s cannula is carefully inserted beneath the skin through a small incision made for the purpose. The electrode and cannula work together to deliver radiofrequency energy that can achieve immediate skin contraction at the surface of the skin, and simultaneously increase the production of collagen to improve skin structure and tighten the skin, thereby providing a better outcome.
In most cases, scarless breast lift patients can resume their normal activities soon after the procedure. However, strenuous activities are advised only after one week. Results are noticeable in as little as one week but are far more pronounced within three to six months
If you are considering getting a breast lift in NYC, it’s important that you have the procedure performed in an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery that offers the service of skilled plastic surgeons. An experienced surgeon will evaluate your anatomical considerations and provide customized treatment to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.