Aging is a natural process. Many things can cause the skin to age and lose some of its youthful fullness. Visible lines and wrinkles slowly appear on the face along with thinner, drier skin. Our genes largely control when these changes occur and the aging process can vary from person to person. However, environmental factors and lifestyle choices can cause your skin to age ahead of time. Although there is no specific way to prevent these changes, following these tips can help slow down the skin aging process –
- Protect your skin from the sun’s rays – Sun exposure plays a major role in premature skin aging. Protect your skin from sun exposure – use sunscreen that with SPF 30 (or higher) and cover up when you step outside. Wear sun protective clothing such as a tightly woven, dark-colored, long-sleeved shirt and pants .a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses with UV protection.
- Be gentle to your skin – Limit face washing to twice daily and use skin care products labeled “hypoallergenic”, “fragrance free”, or “non-comedogenic.” It is important to avoid scrubbing your skin and using skin care products that sting or burns, as this can irritate the skin and make it appear older.
- Use a good facial moisturizer every day – Moisturizer traps water in the skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. Use a quality moisturizer that contains sunscreen.
- Avoid repetitive facial movements–Repetitive facial movements or expressions can contract the underlying muscles. Repeatedly contracting the same muscles for many years can make facial lines become permanent. Avoid repetitive facial movements, like squinting, frowning, or holding a straw or cigarette in your mouth, which can cause wrinkles over time. Wear sunglasses to avoid squinting outdoors.
- Avoid tanning beds – Just like the sun, tanning beds emit harmful ultraviolet radiation (UV) that can lead to premature skin aging, including wrinkles and age spots an even skin cancer. Apply self-tanner instead of getting a tan.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle – Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables can help prevent damage that causes premature skin aging. A diet that contains too much sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging, say studies. Exercising regularly can help improve circulation and boost the immune system, and make your skin look more youthful. Avoid smoking and drink alcohol in moderation, as they can damage the skin. Smoking significantly speeds up how quickly the skin ages, and cause wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- Consider using a retinol cream – A derivative of vitamin A, retinol is available in many over-the-counter skincare products at doses of up to 2 percent. Retinol exfoliates your skin and increases collagen production, which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and give your skin a fresher, plump appearance, according to Cleveland Clinic. Talk to your dermatologist about the appropriate concentration for you.
Effective anti-aging skin care begins with healthy lifestyle habits. Protecting your skin from the sun and eating healthy can help prevent the skin from aging more quickly than it should.