To have a beautiful-looking, healthy, glowing skin is everyone’s dream. For that, most women fill their makeup kits with the best concealer, foundations, serums, night creams, and more. But we forget the key component of a good skin care routine – essential oils.
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts that retain the natural smell and flavor or “essence,” of their source. They are obtained through distillation (via steam and/or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing. They have been around for centuries using in health enhancement, spiritual practices, and improving general well-being. The aromatic scents, natural healing and cleansing properties of essential oils also make them a perfect supplement for your skin care routine. The benefits of essential oils in skin care are:
- Effective option to treat acne
- Are antifungal and have antibacterial properties
- Contain antioxidants
- Reduce inflammation
- Have anti-aging benefits
There are hundreds of essential oils available on the market, with benefits ranging from topical uses to healing scars and clearing up acne. According to a study by National Center for Biotechnology Information, of the 98 essential oils that are recommended for topical use, 88 can heal skin infections. No matter what type of skin you have, there’s an essential oil that can enhance and balance your complexion. The key to adding essential oils to your skincare routine is to use them properly by determining which type of oil suits your skin type and need for it.
- If you are looking for an essential oil for acne-prone skin, helichrysum is an excellent option. It’s incredibly cleansing, and comes with antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- For soothing irritated skin, lavender is best. Its versatile properties support all skin types and relieve itchiness and skin irritation. It also reduces inflammation from hives, ingrown hairs, sunburns, and even eczema.
- Lemon essential oil is best for dry skin people. It can brighten and hydrate skin that tends to be on the drier side.
- The best essential oils for oily skin are clary sage, rosemary, frankincense, geranium and Nneroli. Factors like humidity, heat, and hormones can also make oily skin worse. Using these essential oils you might help alleviate this issue.
- If you are looking for essential oils for sensitive skin, then lavender, frankincense and sandalwood are recommended. Sensitive skin can be either dry or oily, and can sometimes occur alongside allergies, eczema, and other skin conditions. If you are looking essential oils for sensitive skin, don’t choose oils that are highly acidic, such as lemon and lemongrass.
- Lavender, cinnamon or geranium essential oils are good options for skin rash including atopic dermatitis (eczema), and psoriasis. These essential oils have the ability to balance out moisture and alleviate itchiness due to rash. Essential oils that have pain-relieving properties such as Peppermint, Wintergreen, Eucalyptus or Patchouli are recommended for pain is associated with skin rash.
These essential oils will provide benefits only if they are used correctly. They are either inhaled or used directly on the body, but it’s not safe to ingest them. When applying the oils topically to your skin, be sure to dilute them because direct use can cause skin irritation. Use a patch test ahead of time to make sure you’re not allergic and don’t use them around your eyes.