In addition to causing physical discomfort and emotional distress, excessively large breasts are an aesthetic concern among many women. Disproportionate and overly large breasts can lead to neck, shoulder and back pain, deep grooves in the shoulders from bra strap pressure, skin rashes under the breast crease, and difficulty fitting into clothes. Plastic surgery practices offering body contouring in NYC help resolve this issue with breast reduction surgery or reduction mammoplasty. By removing excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin, this cosmetic surgical procedure eases the discomfort associated with large breasts, resolves sagging, and provides patients with breasts that are more proportionate to their body.
To perform breast reduction safely and to provide optimal outcomes, leading AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practices in NYC use advanced minimally-invasive liposuction modalities such as BodyTite RFAL (radiofrequency assisted) or Smartlipo (laser assisted). One of the major advantages of such minimally-invasive treatments is that the procedure can be performed on an outpatient basis using local anesthesia, which means patients remain awake throughout the procedure and can usually go home the same day. While the procedure is minimally-invasive, proper preparation before the treatment is important for smooth recovery and the best outcomes.
Here’s what you should expect prior to the procedure:
A thorough physical and medical evaluation will be performed. You would need to obtain medical clearance from your physician or specialist to ensure you are fit to undergo the procedure. Your surgeon will:
- Evaluate your medical history and overall health
- Perform a physical exam to determine your fitness for this procedure
- Discuss your expectations for breast size and appearance after the surgery
- Provide a detailed description of the procedure and its risks and benefits
- Examine and measure your breasts
- Pre-procedure breasts photos may be taken
- Explain the type of anesthesia used during surgery
Before breast reduction surgery, you might also be asked to:
- Complete various lab tests and get a mammogram
- Avoid taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications NSAIDs: Advil, Motrin, Aleve and vitamins/homeopathic regimens before the procedure as these increase risk of bleeding
- Keep yourself hydrated before and after surgery
- Eat plenty of fresh, healthy foods before (and after) surgery so that your body gets essential vitamins and nutrients that will defend against infections and regulate your digestive system
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before the procedure to avoid poor wound healing and scarring
- Stop consuming alcohol a few weeks before the surgery and after
- Avoid tanning
- Use antibacterial soap to shower as antiseptics used to prepare the skin before surgery will work better when your skin is clean
- Wear loose clothing that you can slip on and off easily
- Using relaxation techniques can speed the healing process, and reduce anxiety, complications, and postoperative pain and discomfort
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery or when you leave the hospital
Ask your surgeon whether you’ll be able to go home the day of the surgery or whether you’ll need to spend a night in the hospital.
Patients need to have realistic expectations when it comes to recovery. Slight swelling and bruising for at least two weeks following procedure is to be expected and drains will be needed for 24 to 48 hours after surgery. Patients will be advised to refrain from heavy lifting or straining for two weeks. Daily activities can be resumed gradually in the days after the surgery without going beyond your tolerance level. Most patients get back to work 2-3 days after surgery. Following a healthy lifestyle is crucial to maintain the results of breast reduction.
Men also undergo breast reduction surgery but for different reasons from women. Male breast reduction in NYC addresses gynecomastia or enlarged breast in men which removes excess fat and glandular tissue to restore a flatter, firmer and more masculine contour to the chest.
If you are considering female breast reduction surgery or male breast reduction surgery in NYC, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice that provides the services of plastic surgeons who are experienced and skilled these procedures. The procedure is performed using different techniques, and an expert surgeon will determine the best method to address your concerns based on your individual considerations, breast composition, amount of reduction desired, and your personal goals.