More and more men and women across the world – and not just celebrities – are opting to have plastic surgery for aesthetic and reconstructive purposes. A leading global market research firm in the US has published a detailed analysis of plastic surgery trends across the world. Here are the main findings of the research report:
- The major equipments used in plastic surgery include dermal resurfacing lasers, microdermabrators, liposuction devices, and hair removal lasers.
- Geographically, North America and Europe dominate the global plastic surgery market
- In North America, the U.S. represents the largest market for plastic surgery followed by Canada
- France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K. represent a major share of the plastic surgery market in Europe
- Increased understanding about plastic surgery procedures and the emerging medical tourism industry may improve growth rates in the Asia during the next five years.
- China and India are likely to be the fastest growing markets in Asia.
- Three factors are identified as fuelling the demand for plastic surgery worldwide:
- Increasing number of older adults looking to retain youth and beauty
- Rising number of obese and overweight people
- Technological advancements
- The major companies in the market are Allergan, Inc., BioForm Medical, Inc., Solta Medical, Candela Corporation, Lumenis and Cynosure.
The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) conducted a survey to collect the international statistics of the surgical and non-surgical procedures performed last year. The report said that more than 20 million surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures were performed worldwide in 2014. The countries which performed the most surgical and non-surgical procedures were the United States, Brazil, Japan, South Korea and Mexico. The most popular procedures were eyelid surgery, liposuction, breast augmentation, fat grafting and nose surgery.