Summer is round the corner and while you enjoy your time outdoors, you need to take steps to stay safe and healthy. Summer is considered the best season for weight loss. Light aerobic exercises can burn calories and are an effective way to maintain your health. Let’s take a look at 6 exercises that can help you shed those excess pounds.
Push–ups are a top weight reduction exercise and a great option to strengthen your upper body and increase stamina. Side-to-side push-ups can provide fast results.
- Assume the push up position with shoulders wide apart
- Put your hands together with the thumbs close to each other
- Make sure your hips are in line with your shoulders
- Lower your body down to the left and push yourself up
- Return to the starting position by extending your elbows, pushing yourself back to center
- Lower your body down to the right and push yourself up
- Alternate until the set is finished.
Planks can burn two to five calories per minute, based on body weight, besides strengthening your entire body from head to toe.
- Stand in plank position
- Make sure your shoulders are directly above your hands
- Look towards the floor and keep your head relaxed
- Grind your toes into the floor and squeeze your glutes to stabilize your body
- Your head should be in line with your back
- Maintain this posture for at least 10 seconds
- Gradually increase the time to 20,45 and 60 seconds – without compromising your breath
Planks can burn up to 2-5 calories per minute, according to Healthline.
This exercise gets your heart rate going and is the ideal option to address belly fat. It targets many major muscles including the glutes and core muscles that help maintain the upright posture.
- Get your body to the push-up position and look towards the floor
- Balance your weight evenly between your hands and your toes
- Keep your hands about shoulder-width apart
- Make sure you back is flat, abs are engaged, and head is in alignment
- Bring your knees alternatively into your chest as far as you can
- Keep your hips down and move your knees in and out as far and as fast as you can
- Inhale and exhale with each leg change
- Do 4 sets to burn that belly fat
This exercise strengthens the large muscle groups in your lower body, and is especially effective for the butt and legs. Lunges help you lose weight faster.
- Stand up and keep your legs wide apart
- Put one of your legs in the forward direction
- Shift your weight forward
- Lower your body and make sure that your thigh is parallel to the floor
- Press your heels to come back to the initial position
- Repeat the steps with the other leg
- Do 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions
Skipping is one of the most convenient, effective and easy exercises to lose weight and improve stamina and lung capacity. Use a strong rope.
- Stand up and hold the rope
- Expand your hands wide
- Hold the rope as if the middle part of it touches the back of your feet
- Swing the rope over your head using your hands and wrists
- Jump over the rope when it comes to the front of your feet
- Repeat this until you reach the desired count
Do not try to bend your knees while jumping as that will make the workout harder.
Squats engage multiple the muscles in your thighs, buttocks and knees and are considered the best exercise for weight loss.
- Stand straight with feet hip-width apart
- Tighten your stomach muscles
- Keep your chest up
- Lower down, as if sitting in an invisible chair
- Make sure your feet stay planted throughout the squat
- Straighten your legs and lift your body up
- Exhale on the way up
All these workouts can help you in your summer weight loss journey, but make sure to consult your doctor before you begin. You can increase the counts of your workouts based on your comfort. If you are a beginner, start your workouts with moderate aerobic workouts like brisk walking, swimming, cycling and jogging. If you are aiming for significant weight loss, consult a dietician to modify your diet along with your workout schedule.