Most people tend to overeat during thanksgiving and gain weight. Fortunately, there are special post-Thanksgiving workouts that can help you get back in shape. The Thanksgiving celebration brings feasting, and along with that, higher numbers on the scale. We tend to overeat turkey, candied yams, marshmallow salads and pumpkin pie, which leads to calorie overload. The good news is that even if you do over-indulge, there are specific exercises that can help you get rid of those extra calories. Here are 6 post-Thanksgiving workouts to boost your metabolism and burn fat:
- Cardio Exercises: Start with cardio or aerobic warm-up exercises to get your heart rate up and make your blood pump faster. The higher your heartbeat, the more fat you’ll burn. Cardio exercises also deliver more oxygen throughout your body, which keeps your heart and lungs healthy. Some common forms of cardio workouts include walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, and fitness classes. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Trusted Source, “a person should get at least 150 to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 to 150 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise each week to witness significant changes”.
- Squats: This strength training workout can help you lose 10 pounds in a month. This lower body workout targets the glutes, hamstrings, quads, hips, lower back, calves, and even your abs. Doing squats increases your muscle mass, ups your metabolism and helps you burn calories faster. For optimal results, do at least 3 sets of 15 repetitions each day.
- Push-ups: This functional exercise build stamina and strength in many major muscle groups, so including them as a part of your weight-loss regimen is a great choice. Start with a plank position, keep your body tight, and shoulders pulled down and back. Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body. When your chest grazes the floor, extend your elbows and return to the start position. Keep your elbows and arms at the same angle as your chest. Do 3 sets of 10–30 reps.
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT): This type of workout alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or short-term rest. HIIT helps to lose weight efficiently and is a great way to stay fit.
- Burpees: If you want to burn excess fat in the thighs or lower body as a whole, try this full-body exercise. Along with weight loss, burpees keep you fit and healthy.
- Planks: This is wonderful core workout that strengthens almost your entire body. It helps burn fat rapidly because it can engage multiple muscles at once. Though basic regular planks are a great way to start your weight loss journey, you can multiply their benefits by trying different variations such as forearm plank, reverse plank, walking plank, side plank and alternating arm and leg raise. All these variations involve more muscle groups in the exercise which will raise your heartbeat, and burn more calories.
After a big Thanksgiving feast, get some activity. Post-thanksgiving workouts can make you feel much better. In addition to helping you lose weight, a short workout session can release stress, and boost your energy and mood.