Like women, men too are now paying more attention to their appearance and also want to look and feel younger. Most men are looking to retain their youthful looks as the years pass. For that to happen, you need to take proper care of your skin and body. Taking the right steps can delay the effects of aging on the skin. A study published in the Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology reported that men’s attractiveness and youth are judged largely on the tone and evenness of their complexion.
Aging is inevitable. It starts with gray hair and proceeds to wrinkles around the eyes and on the forehead, and finally, slowing down physically. The good news is that adopting simple lifestyle habits can preserve your health and seemingly knock years off your age. Here are 8 anti-aging tips for men:
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol consumption. Cigarettes contain carbon monoxide, which displaces the oxygen in your skin, leaving it dry and saggy. It affects your hair, stains your teeth, and makes your skin look dull. Smoking also destroys many key elements – including vitamin C, tissue, elastin, and collagen – that support youthful looks. It can cause a host of health problems that will age you quickly. You should also limit intake of caffeine and alcohol because these stimulants accelerate the aging process.
- Reduce sugar intake, especially items like flavored soda, candy, desserts and so on. Sugar consumption contributes to wrinkles and dehydrated skin. It can also cause inflammation that can lead to acne. But rather than always avoiding cravings, it’s alright to indulge your sweet tooth occasionally.
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. One of the most important skin care tips for men is to drink at least 6 to 8 cups of water a day. It helps to detoxify the body, keeps wrinkles at bay, and makes the skin look healthy and youthful.
- If you want to look young for long time, you must include exercise in your daily routine. Regular exercise helps you look and feel younger than you are. By exercising, you are stimulating blood flow which allows more nutrients and oxygen to be carried to the working cells in the body which in turn keeps your heart healthy and improves body tone and flexibility. Improved circulation also removes free radicals from the skin, and can help reverse the signs of skin aging. Many studies have shown that men who exercise regularly are fitter and look younger than those who are fat and flabby – even if they are of the same age (discoverpilgrim.com).
- Eat healthy foods such as chicken, fish, fruits, and vegetables with a moderate amount of carbs. These foods have essential minerals which reverse aging-related damage and help you look young and fit.
- Don’t try to adopt an 18-year-old’s fashion trends just to look younger. Instead, stick to updated classics.
- If you have a sagging neckline, consider growing a beard to conceal it. Make sure to maintain a close, well-trimmed beard.
- Stay out of the sun. Excessive exposure to the sunlight can make your skin sag and accelerate the appearance of wrinkles. Up to 15 to 20 minutes of sun exposure is beneficial for health. But excessive exposure to UV rays can damage the elastin fibers in the skin tissues responsible for skin elasticity. If you have to step out during the day, wear clothes that cover as much of your skin as possible and apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or more.
Following these tips can knock years off your appearance and help you stay healthy by preventing chronic diseases.