Signs of aging usually show first on the neck as the skin in this area is thinner than that in any part of the body. The skin here has fewer oil glands and as a result loses its elasticity faster. As you age, collagen production decreases. Many other factors also hasten neck aging. Understanding the causes of neck aging is important to take measures to slow down the process. Let’s take a look at some effective ways to fight age-related changes and make your neck stay youthful for longer:
- Stay Hydrated: Staying hydrated throughout the day will contribute to firmer, plumper skin that is less prone to wrinkles and sagging. It will also help you stay healthy and refreshed.
- Don’t Forget to Exfoliate: Your body has millions of skin cells and is continuously replacing them. Your body will shed about 30,000 to 40,000 of these dead skin cells. Rub your chin and down to your collarbone using an exfoliator. Since the neck is more sensitive, exfoliate it once a week to remove old skin.
- Eat Vitamin C- rich Foods and Fatty Foods: Vitamin C improves collagen production and improves skin elasticity. Eat more citrus fruits, tomatoes, and berries. Include foods that are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids like olive oil, fatty fish, avocado, and nuts in your diet. These foods will help your body produce the collagen necessary to keep your neck skin looking plump and tight for longer.
- Limit Sun Exposure: Overexposure to the sun’s UV rays is harmful to the body. It can lead to skin cancer and also speed up the aging process by breaking down the natural elastin fibers and collagen which keeps your skin firm. Whenever you spend time outdoors, wear a sunscreen with SPF 50 even if it is not sunny as UV rays can penetrate the skin even it is cloudy. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and take frequent breaks from the sun. Reapply sunscreen after swimming.
- Do Neck Exercises: Keeping your neck muscles toned will help prevent sagging skin and wrinkles. Always keep your chin up. If your chin is permanently tucked into your chest, it’s more likey that you develop permanent creases in your neck. The following neck exercises can help to keep your neck and face muscles fit:
- Look straight ahead and up at the ceiling. Hold for five seconds. Slowing come back to the starting position and repeat it 20 times.
- Form an ‘O’ with your mouth and hold for 5 seconds. Then pronounce the sound ‘E’ like in ‘eel’. Repeat this several times.
- Place your lower lip over the upper lip and hold for a few seconds. Repeat it ten times.
- Sleep on the Right Pillow: Using a high pillow can result in neck wrinkles over a long period of time. A small pillow maximizes the angle between the face and neck and slows down the skin’s aging process.
- Avoid Overuse of Perfume: Perfume contains alcohol and different aromatizers that dry out the skin and make it less elastic. Apply perfume on your wrists rather than on your neck.
- Avoid Wearing Heavy Neck Jewelry: Wearing heavy necklaces and pendants will stretch the gentle skin on your neck. Wear them only on special occasions. It is also important to avoid wearing synthetic turtleneck sweaters with tight collars for the same reason.
These effective methods can help slow down neck aging. If these methods fail to work, there are several minimally-invasive or non-invasive treatments like liposuction to treat a double chin or a neck lift to tighten the skin and muscle. An experienced plastic surgeon can recommend the right option to rejuvenate your neck.