Calorie counting is a common practice among those who try to eat healthy and are weight conscious. However, counting calories is not practical idea always, especially when you dine out or when you are partying. However, you can stay within your healthy eating plan and enjoy your food by following these tips:
- Eat foods that are filling but low in calories. Choose whole grains, whole-wheat bread. Lentils, legumes and importantly, a mix of vegetables and fruits.
- Be watchful when you choose your drinks. Regular sodas, fruit juices, and alcoholic beverages are high in calories. So limit its intake and include more fresh water or healthy beverages like green tea.
- Avoid chips, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, French fries and other deep-fried snacks that are high in fat and calories.
- When it comes to meat, stick to lean cuts in modest amounts.
- When you plan to dine in a restaurant, check the menu on their website before you leave home. You can then plan a healthy meal that meets your calorie target.
- The first thing you can order at a restaurant is a salad. Scientists at Pennsylvania State University noted that those who have a big veggie salad before the main course will have only a fewer calories overall than those who didn’t. However, make sure that it doesn’t have a dressing that is too heavy.
- Make wise choices like grilled chicken instead of fried chicken and broiled fish instead of fried fish so that you can eat your favorite food in the healthiest way possible.
- Don’t be afraid to ask about how the food is cooked and also about the ingredients that make it flavorful. This will help you decide what to have and what to avoid.
- Skip the rich dessert. Go for some fruit, a sorbet or chocolate instead.
Going by these tips can make eating out enjoyable even as you count your calories and stick to your diet plan.