Starting from age 30, people start worrying about the changes that appears in their face. Sun damage, genetics, lifestyle and others factors can wreak havoc on your skin and trigger facial aging. The good news is that adopting certain beauty rules when you hit your 30s can slow down the aging process.
Usually, the first visible signs of aging are fine lines, wrinkles, folds and sagging due to collagen loss. Collagen is the protein that gives your skin its shape. It helps your skin bounce back and stay plump. Aging, smoking, stress and sun damage can break down the skin’s collagen and elastin and lead to the loss of that youthful appearance over time.
Here are the main causes of facial wrinkles and sagging:
- Decrease in collagen production due to natural aging, which leads to loss of elasticity, wrinkles and sagging.
- Using bad quality cosmetics which contain harmful chemicals can cause wrinkles.
- Weight loss can cause sagging in the face.
- An unhealthy diet which does not include enough proteins, vitamins, iron and calcium can lead to unhealthy skin.
- Stress can lead to break down of collagen and formation of wrinkles.
- The sun’s UV rays can cause break down of collagen at a higher rate than normal aging.
- Lack of sleep can cause sagging – the skin makes new collagen when you sleep.
- Not drinking enough water – lack of hydration can cause wrinkles, fine lines, sagging etc.
You cannot stop the natural aging process, but you can slow it down with the right care. Here are some tips to keep your skin looking fresh and youthful:
- Use sun protection and moisturizer: During summer and winter, use sun protection whenever you go out. Sunscreen can protect you from harmful UV rays of sun. Don’t forget to use moisturizer according to your skin type and climate.
- Use collagen beauty products: Using collagen content products can help you with wrinkles and sagging.
- Try home remedies
- Egg white mask – Firms the skin: Apply the white of 2 eggs on your face and wash it with cold water after 20 minutes.
- Milk and cucumber mask – Tightens the skin: Take 2 tablespoons of grated cucumber and mix with 2 tablespoons of milk. Apply, leave the mask on your face for 30 minutes, and then wash off with cold water.
Doing facial massages 2-3 times a week can increase blood circulation, relax facial muscles, reduce stress, decreases puffiness, fine lines, wrinkles and provide a healthy glow to the skin. Prepare your skin before massaging your face:
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and pat dry, after that moisture your skin with suitable oil for your skin.
- Steam your face to soften the pores and this will help oil to penetrate into your skin.
- Use your fingers to gently massage your face in circular motion.
- You can also use skin care gadgets for massaging like a metal roller or jade roller if you are comfortable.
Massage your forehead, eye area, cheeks, area around the mouth, the chin, and neck using the right techniques.
Daily habits that can help prevent wrinkles and sagging:
- Exfoliate once a week to get rid of dead skin and stimulate blood circulation.
- Stay hydrated always skin.
- Do facial exercises through movements and expressions.
- Consume Vitamin C rich foods such as oranges, red peppers, kale, brussels sprouts, and strawberries to increase the levels of hyaluronic acid that helps to retain water to keep your tissues well lubricated and moist and to increase the levels of collagen.
- Reduce sugar consumption as eating too much sugar reduces the collagen production.
If you take care of yourself, you can slow down the signs of facial aging. The above-mentioned strategies are a good way to start. Maintain consistency with these habits to win the war against wrinkles and other signs of aging.