It is important for an individual to stay healthy to improve the overall wellbeing. For that what is most significant is enhancing the immune system. Making some smart changes in your lifestyle can help you stay fit and healthy and reduce the number of sick days in your yearly calendar. Here are some simple but effective ways to improve your immune system:
- Sleep deprivation and stress overload lead to increased levels of the hormone cortisol and its prolonged elevation suppresses the immune function. So make sure that you get enough sleep and manage stress.
- Avoid habits such as smoking as it is one of the main reasons for the lack of immune defense causing increased risk of bronchitis and pneumonia in everyone, and middle ear infections in kids.
- Try to limit the intake of alcohol. Excessive consumption of alcohol can impair the immune system and increase the vulnerability to lung infections.
- It is a good idea to add garlic to foods before serving. It is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and immune booster.
- Even when prolonged exposure to sunlight is not good for your skin, it is good to get moderate exposure of sunlight, say 10 to 15 minutes. This triggers the skin’s production of vitamin D.
- It is important to stay active and be regular with your daily exercise activities. Your immune system responds to workouts by producing more of the blood cells that attack bacterial invaders.
- Do you know that laughter can strengthen your immunity along with your mood? Have some fun daily and laugh out whenever possible as it raises the levels of antibodies in the blood as well as the white blood cells which are known to attack and kill bacteria and viruses.
- Vitamin C that is found in high concentrations in oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit, is said to boost the activity of phagocytes in the blood. These cells engulf and digest bacteria.
Consider these above mentioned tips to improve your immune system and stay healthy.