Being obese or gaining weight not only affects your aesthetic confidence, it’s also dangerous and closely linked to Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and so on. Incorporating plenty of veggies in your diet can prevent weight gain and keep these diseases at bay. Vegetables are packed full of protective vitamins, minerals and phyto-nutrients and antioxidants that can prevent many diseases.
Here are 8 vegetables that can support your weight loss efforts:
- Cauliflower: A good source of fiber and low in calories, cauliflower has several properties that may help with weight loss. One of these properties is its high water content — 92% of this vegetable’s weight is made up of water. Generally, consuming lots of water-dense, low-calorie foods is associated with weight loss. Also, as per the USDA National Nutrient Database, cauliflower is fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low in sodium. It also helps in slow digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness.
- Spinach: Spinach is rich in insoluble fiber which is the key element that helps weight loss. It can speed up the weight loss process and make it easier for you to shed those extra kilos. Including this leafy vegetable in your diet would provide many health benefits.
- Broccoli: Rich in dozens of nutrients, broccoli is a hearty and tasty vegetable. A good. Fiber-rich carb, broccoli aids in digestion, prevents constipation, controls blood sugar, and checks overeating. Apart from high-quality fiber, minerals and vitamins, broccoli also contains phytochemicals that help enhance fat loss in the body. One of the best ways to eat this veggie is to put it in salads.
- Mushrooms: A true superfood with numerous health benefits, mushrooms are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These edible fungi promote weight loss and burn fat by regulating the levels of glucose in the blood. They’re also rich in protein and can help you increase your metabolism, resulting in fat loss.
- Sweet potato: With a bit more fiber than white potato, sweet potato aids weight loss by forming a gel like mesh in the stomach which makes you feel fuller for longer and thus prevents you from overeating.
- Cucumbers: According to Fitness Health Forever, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recognized cucumber as a carrier of fat-free, saturated fat-free, cholesterol-free and sodium-free nutrients. lLow in calories and high in water and fiber, cucumber will fill you up and eliminate the need for you to eat more often.
- Green peas: Another rich source of veggie, green peas are good for weight loss. Rich in vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients like complex carbs, green peas offer many health benefits while prolonging the feeling of satiety. Peas are also packed with proteins, another component that adds to your feeling of fullness and reduces appetite.
- Asparagus: As its low in calories, high in water and rich in fiber, asparagus has several features that make it a weight-loss friendly food. It is packed with vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, as well as folate, iron, copper, calcium and protein.
In addition to incorporating these weight loss friendly foods in your diet, make sure you exercise too. Regular exercise is very important for weight loss. Also, reduce stress, get adequate sleep, and drink enough water.