One of the most exciting parts of cosmetic breast surgery – which includes breast augmentation, breast reconstruction and breast reduction – is the newfound confidence you will feel about your body. With advanced technologies, recovery time after breast augmentation in NYC and other cosmetic surgical procedures is comparatively short and many women are eager to start off their exercise regimens.
Exercising after cosmetic breast surgery can have a significant impact on your bodily functions. The aim of exercise is to help restore physical function and get you back to your activities of daily living. But before you jump back into your fitness routine, it is important to find out when and what type of exercises will be safe to begin because you don’t want to cause injury to your new breasts.
As every patient is different, plastic surgeons in NYC customize treatment plans to suit the needs of each individual. Several factors can affect a patient’s recovery and the timeline of when to resume exercise. Generally, patients are asked to wait at least 6 weeks before resuming high-intensity exercise.
Follow your surgeon’s instructions on exercise after breast surgery. As it may take some time to achieve a full recovery, the right postoperative exercises will help you improve your range of motion. Based on your surgeon’s advice, here are 9 exercises that you can do after breast surgery:
- Arm Swings: Place your arms at your sides and rotate them in a circular motion while increasing the size of the circle. Do 5 repetitions every 2-3 hours.
- Body Turns (Rotations): Cross your arms in a way that they are placed on your shoulders. Turn your head slowly to the left and then to the right. Do 5 repetitions every 2-3 hours.
- Shoulder Shrugs: Relax your shoulders and lift your shoulders toward your ears. Bring them down slowly and relax your shoulders. Do 5 repetitions every hour.
- Shoulder Rolls: Relax your shoulders. Roll your shoulders forward and backward. Squeeze your shoulder blades together. Take a deep breath as you do each shoulder roll and do 5 repetitions every hour.
- Shoulder Raise: Put your fingertips onto your shoulders and raise both elbows. Aim to get your elbows at the level of your shoulder by moving your elbows forward in a circular motion. Do 5 repetitions every hour.
- Beach Pose: Lie down on a flat surface, place your fingers on your ears and point your elbows toward the ceiling. Slowly lower your elbows.
- Chest Stretch: Stand straight and place your arms at your side. Slowly place your arms at your back and aim to touch your hands together.
- Arm Circles: Stand with your arms relaxed. Lift one arm out from the side and slowly make small, counter-clockwise circles in the air. Use your shoulder muscles to make the movement, rather than your elbow or wrist. Gradually increase the size of the circles until the circles are as large as you can make them without causing discomfort. Repeat 10 times and continue doing the exercise with the same arm, but this time clockwise. Repeat 10 times. Then switch to the other arm.
- Side Bends: Lift your arms slowly over your head and straighten your arms. Hold your right hand on your left wrist and once your arms are over your head, slowly bend your trunk to the right keeping your arms overhead. Return to the starting position and slowly bend to the left with your left hand over your right wrist. Repeat this exercise 5 to 7 times every 2-3 hours.
These basic exercises can help you get your arms moving, and before trying these exercises, check with your surgeon. Wearing a support bra can help maintain the result of the procedure and prevent further complications. If you experience any signs or symptoms of discomfort or pain while exercising, stop doing them immediately and consult your surgeon.
If you are considering a cosmetic breast procedure such as breast augmentation in New York City, find an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice with surgeons who are experts in this procedure. The operative technique and the skills and experience of the surgeon matter when it comes to recovering smoothly after any cosmetic surgical procedure. Reliable surgeons will provide all the guidance you need at your consultation.