With the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, the stress is on getting proper nutrition to ward off health problems. You don’t have to make a big effort to find great health foods. Some common, natural foods come with surprising health benefits, helping to stave off disease and providing a cure for many ailments. Let’s take a look at some of these easily available foods with amazing health benefits.
- Ginger is a common ingredient in a wide variety of cuisines across the world and added to starters, soups, curries, and baked food. But did you know that this wonder spice can improve blood flow, strengthen immunity, and prevent excessive sweating? It is also good for motion sickness and nausea, and helps digestion.
- In addition to adding color to your food, coriander is rich in vitamins and minerals and promotes liver function and healthy bowel movements. It also plays a role in treating conditions such as nausea, diarrhea and other digestive tract disorders. Coriander increases good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol.
- Many people tend to avoid nuts as they are thought to be rich in fat and calories. Actually, most of the fat in almonds is healthy monounsaturated fat which helps lower cholesterol levels and is good for your heart. One serving (about seven almonds) also provides about almost 15 percent of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of vitamin E.
- Broccoli is rich in folate, vitamin A and C, and phytonutrients, chemicals that may help prevent disease and keep your body working properly. It protects your cells and promotes eye health.
- Don’t ignore the humble potato. It can help lower bad cholesterol, build your cells, stimulate neurological activity, and protect against heart disease and even cancer. But stay away from greasy French fries or potato chips. Baked potato is a very good low calorie, high fiber food.
- Red beans are low in fat, contain phytonutrients, and are an excellent source of protein and dietary fiber. They help your body fight free radicals and reduce the risk of cancer or other serious diseases.
- Don’t think of the onion as only an option to add flavor to your food. They are high in flavonoids, which balance blood pressure, maintain cardiovascular health and reduce physical symptoms of stress. In addition, it can regulate blood sugar levels and help reduce inflammation.
- Do you know that tomatoes can help prevent cancers of the lungs, stomach and prostate? They also reduce cholesterol levels and lower risks of heart- disease. A rich source of potassium, the tomato helps maintain fluid balance in the body.