Most of us spend quality time at our workspaces staring at our computer screens for lengthy periods of time and this very often results in headaches, eyestrain and lower back pain. In such situations, it is recommended to take at least a five-minute break from your work. According to a research survey published in www.huffingtonpost.in, only one in five U.S. workers takes a lunch break, i.e. when the American workweek can easily span more than 55 hours. This can put people at greater risk of stroke and heart disease.
Office workers who take short, frequent breaks during the day have more stamina and fewer aches and pains when they return to work. To enjoy good physical and mental health while working, increase the creativity and productivity of your work.
Taking breaks at work help to:
- Boost creativity and passion in your work
- It can refresh your attention span and improve concentration
- A nap break can aid in memory and learning ability
- Reduce on-the-job accidents (because of exhaustion and fatigue)
- Improve physical health
- Increase your productivity
Take a few short breaks throughout the day. Some examples of activities that you can do for this five-minute break are listed below:
- Implement Pomodoro method that is, setting the timer for 25 minutes as you work and when it goes off, take a short break for 5 minutes. During the break time, stretch your legs, get a coffee or a drink and then sit back and relax. Repeat 3 more times, and then take a 15-30 minute break. After this go to step 1.
- Always stand up and stretch your body when you take a break.
- Take a small walk away from your desk.
- Daydreaming, to boost your creativity.
- Have a healthy snack and keep hydrated.
- Listen to some music, which helps to improve your motor and reasoning skills.
- Communicate with co-workers. Instead of emailing your colleagues, go and speak to them.
- Change your position at your workstation for a change of scenery.
By following these simple activities you can make a great difference as a better employee, and also considerably improve your working style.
If the brain is not allowed any rest and continues to load more and more views and concerns, then it becomes less efficient and there are chances of making more mistakes setting itself up for a disaster. To prevent such issues at work, short breaks are the best alternative.