Most women tend to focus on how to make their legs look better and glamorous. However, it’s also important to have healthier legs as this will help prevent leg-related conditions such as spider veins to muscle cramps. What’s more, healthier legs will also be stronger and more attractive. Here are valuable tips for healthy legs:
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time as this could lead to leg pain and swelling.
- If you have had a long tiring day, having a cool shower or bath will revitalize your legs. This is especially necessary during the summer.
- Keep your legs elevated while you are sitting on the sofa or lying in bed. This will boost your body’s natural circulation.
- Regular exercise is important for leg health. Choose sports that improve blood circulation such as swimming, walking, biking and yoga.
- In addition to being important for your overall health, weight management will help prevent swelling in the legs and other symptoms.
- Make sure that you wear graduated compression socks and stockings. This will improve venous circulation to prevent and treat venous problems.
- Wearing high heels all the time is bad for the legs. It can affect the functioning of the larger veins. High heels can result in knee problems and disabling injuries. On the other hand, lower-heeled shoes can actually tone your calf muscles and improve circulation.
- Avoid wearing clothes that are tight around your waist or groin area because they can restrict blood flow.
- Avoid hot tubs and long hot baths. Excessive heat can expand the veins in your legs, which would potentially lead to increased blood pooling.
If you notice symptoms such as leg or ankle swelling, leg pain or tenderness, numbness, tingling, varicose veins, cramping or skin discoloration, see your doctor. These symptoms could be the sign of a health condition.