Open pores on the skin are a worrisome aesthetic concern that can make the face look dull and old. The main factors that cause open pores are stress, genetics and unhealthy skin. As you age, the skin loses its elasticity and worsens the condition. These visible pores are most commonly seen in oily and combination skins due to the excessive sebum production in such skin types, and can lead to complications like blackheads and acne. Here are 9 natural remedies that can minimize and shrink your pores, and make them smaller and less prominent:
- Keep your skin clean: Keeping your skin as clean as possible is the best way to address large pores. Remove makeup before you hit the bed because anything we apply to our face can enter our pores and can stretch them out. This includes makeup, moisturizers, and dirt.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliation is important to remove dead skin cells that may block your pores. Homemade sugar scrubs can be of great help in reducing large pores as they exfoliate the skin and remove excess oil and impurities.
- Facial steam: Steaming can remove dirt and oil from pores. The heat from steam opens your pores while the water droplets wash out all the debris.
- Ice: Applying ice shrinks large pores and tightens the skin. Ice stimulates circulation and promotes healthier skin. Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and hold it on your skin for 15 to 30 seconds. Do this a few times daily. Another option is to wash your face with cold water.
- Egg white: Egg white is known to shrink large pores by tightening and toning the skin. It can draw out excess oil and can improve the condition of oily skin. Simply whisk an egg white and spread it evenly on your face. Rinse it off when the mask dries completely. Do this once or twice a week.
- Apple cider vinegar: This product works as a natural astringent and skin toner. It tightens the skin, reduces large pores, and restores the skin’s pH balance. Apply the mixture apple cider vinegar and water to your face in 1:1 ratio.
- Papaya: Applying the pulp on your face helps in unclogging pores, toning and tightening the skin, and removing impurities.
- Baking soda: Baking soda reduces complications like pimples and acne due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can balance the pH of your skin and remove dirty particles from the surface.
- Yogurt: Natural yogurt can dissolve impurities in your pores and reduce the appearance of pore size. It contains probiotic and lactic bacteria which help keep the bad bacteria that cause acne in check.