Split ends are a common hair problem women face. A split end is literally a hair split into two at the bottom of the strand. Split ends occur when the hair becomes weak due to continuous blow drying, heat styling, exposure to extreme weather conditions or using harsh chemicals. This makes hair look dry, frizzy and damaged. If you have too many split ends, then your hair stops growing. So it’s important to treat this concern without delay. One proven way to eliminate split ends is by trimming your hair. But only trimming won’t help split ends – proper hair maintenance is important too.
Here are some natural ways to get rid of split ends and protect your hair so they don’t come back:
- Trim your hair: Trim your hair every six weeks. Get professional help to get your hair trimmed because an experienced hairstylist can see how many split ends you have and will remove the damaged hair.
- Avoid products with harsh chemicals and high-heat treatments: One of the leading causes of split ends is the use of harsh chemicals on your hair. So try to avoid using such harsh chemicals. Over-styling your hair with heat also lead to split ends. Do not straighten or use other high-heat treatments often – once every two weeks or once a month may be acceptable. If you do, use a heat-protective spray. Look for irons or other tools that allow for exact temperature control. Let your hair stylist know that you prefer low-heat treatments.
- Don’t overdo shampooing: Shampooing hair is good for your hair, but overdoing it can strip away healthy oils, leaving your hair vulnerable to damage. So keep a balance while shampooing your hair and always use conditioner after a shampoo wash. Deep conditioning once or twice in a month can promote healthy hair growth.
- Dry your hair gently: Avoid vigorous rubbing when drying your hair. Instead use a microfiber towel and gently remove excess water from your hair and let it dry naturally. If you are in a hurry, use a blow-dryer on low setting – set it to blow cold air to avoid any heat damage to hair.
- Use a wide tooth comb: To detangle wet, curly or thick hair, use wide-toothed comb. Always comb from the ends upwards, taking small sections at a time. Combing from the roots straight down can cause hair to snag and tear, which is worse than the split ends condition. Avoid back combing as it can cause significant damage.
- Protect your hair while sleeping: Use a sleep cap or a satin pillowcase for hair care while sleeping, as it helps prevents hair tangles and breakages. Due to its coarse texture, a cotton pillowcase can draw moisture from the hair and cause it to twist and stick, making split ends worse.
- Eating a balanced diet: For healthy hair, eat a balanced diet that contains the recommended amounts of vitamins and proteins. Include items such as nuts, seeds, avocado, vegetable oils, leafy greens, and fish that contains omega-3 fatty acids as these help hair growth.
Applying a nourishing hair mask, once every 1 or 2 weeks or at least 3 times a month, can also reduce the formation of split ends. Leave the hair mask on for thirty minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Hair masks with ingredients such as coconut oil, olive oil, banana, honey, avocado, fenugreek seeds, and aloe vera are recommended to prevent split ends.