Every woman wants beautiful, clear, flawless skin but dark spots or patches can appear as a result of the overproduction of a pigment called melanin. The condition is referred to as hyperpigmentation. Though skin pigmentation is not harmful, it can make your skin to look uneven and unhealthy. The condition can be caused by various factors:
- Skin inflammation caused due to excessive exposure to sun
- Allergic reactions
- Hormonal imbalances
- Genetic predisposition
- Skin damage from injury
- Improper hair removal
- Excessive medication intake
Skin pigmentation can be treated naturally, avoiding the use of harsh, chemical based products. Here are some effective home remedies with natural ingredients that, when used on a regular basis, can slow down and reverse the effect of darkening and promote clear skin:
- Lemon: Lemon juice is a key item for many skin problems. This natural bleaching agent is also an excellent source of vitamin C. It has powerful antioxidant properties that protect the skin from UV damage while lightening dark spots. If you have sensitive skin, dilute lemon juice with little water and apply it on the affected area. Repeat this twice a day for a few months and you will see the patches lighten. Applying a mixture of lemon juice with honey is also recommended.
- Vegetable juices: The juices from potatoes, tomatoes and cucumber are great to lighten pigmentation. Raw potato juice improves dark spots and skin pigmentation removal as potato is rich in an enzyme called catecholase which is known to improve skin tone. Cucumber juice is also a great natural rejuvenating agent.
To apply potato juice on the pigmented areas, cut a piece of potato and rub it directly on the dark spots or you can mash a potato and extract and apply the juice. Doing this two to three times a day for about a month can make a noticeable difference.
- Aloe vera: This herb is a wonder remedy for skin pigmentation and mainly addresses damage due to UV radiation. Add half a tsp of honey to two teaspoons of
aloe vera and keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes. Apply the mixture on the skin, keep on it for 20 minutes, and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Papaya: The fruit is rich in vitamin A and antioxidants that exfoliate the skin effectively. Papaya has extensive anti-aging benefits and skin whitening properties.
- Orange peel: Orange peel has citric acid which helps reduce melanin content. Eating oranges is also recommended as a remedy for skin pigmentation. Mix powdered dry orange peel, cold milk and honey, apply on the affected areas, and wash off after half an hour.
- Almond: A great source of Vitamin E and a powerful antioxidant, almond can treat skin pigmentation and keep the skin healthy. Drinking almond milk can help fight hyperpigmentation. Almonds help moisturize the skin, nourish it and remove pigmentation while the milk can combat dryness as well as lighten the skin. Almond oil is rich in vitamins A, B, and E and fatty acids that work in lightening dark spots over time.
- Banana: This fruit works as a natural exfoliator, cleansing the skin, removing dead skin cells, and thereby addressing skin pigmentation. It is also rich in vitamin K or potassium which nourishes your skin and keeps it healthy. Mash a banana to a fine paste, add honey and milk to it. Apply the mixture, keep it on for 30 minutes, and wash off with warm water.
One of the major reasons for pigmentation is the direct exposure to the sun, so apply sun screen before you step out. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular exercise can also help keep your skin looking fresh and glowing. If the dark spots persist, see your doctor as they could be a symptom of an underlying medical issue.