When it comes to skin care, we all stick to a basic plan and that is the reason why you are not getting the desired results. So it is important for you to first determine which skin type you have and then set up a skin care regimen. The various skin types are oily, dry, normal, and combination skin; and a special case is sensitive skin. Skin care specialists recommend different ways to take care of these skin types so that you can achieve that much desired youthful glow.
- Dry skin often appears dehydrated and may have a few breakouts. It also appears elastic and can be sensitive to the sun, wind, and cold temperatures. So make it a habit to use creamy cleanser and warm water to clean it up and pat it dry. It is better to use a cream-based lotion to hydrate your skin and keep it rejuvenated. Take shorter showers and baths and use mild, gentle soaps or cleansers. Avoid scrubbing while bathing or drying.
- Those with oily skin are more prone to pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads and this type of skin may attract more dirt. It is good to wash your face twice a day with a gentle non-foaming cleanser and warm water and don’t scrub. An alcohol-free, hydrating toner would be the right choice. It is important to moisturize the skin daily with a light moisturizer and don’t pick, pop, or squeeze pimples. Your focus should be on removing excess oil from the skin, hydrating and cleaning enlarged pores.
- For those with normal skin, its appearance changes with the season. So use cleansers that are normally meant for a regular skin type.
- If you have combination skin i.e. two extreme skin types on one face, take care of each area appropriately. For instance, you may have acne and a lot of oil in one area while the rest of the skin is dry and without oil.
- Whether your skin is oily, dry or normal, it can be sensitive to the sun, wind, and cold weather and allergic to certain beauty products resulting in rashes, redness, inflammation, acne, and dilated capillaries. Use hypoallergenic beauty products and those that provide a soothing effect.
- Avoid direct sunlight and use a good sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
- Watch your diet and see that you consume a good amount of necessary fatty acids, organic protein, yogurt, and lacto-fermented fruits and vegetables. It is good to eliminate processed foods from your diet.
- Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. If your skin becomes dry, it can cause spots and breakouts.
- Avoid smoking.
- Moisturize your skin.
- It is important to wash your skin every day, and remove your makeup before going to bed.
If you don’t know what skin type you have, consult a skin care specialist and obtain good advice.