When you eat good food, your body will show its appreciation through your skin. Aging and environmental factors take a toll on our skin. Many women depend on countless beauty products like lotions, creams, etc., to fight aging, but it’s actually what you eat that really matters when it comes to preserving the quality of your skin. Here are some top anti-aging foods with high vitamin content and antioxidant properties that can help you maintain hydrated, softer and beautiful skin.
- Avocado: This fruit contains natural oils that penetrate into the skin to nourish, hydrate and soften it. It is rich in vitamins A, B, C, E and K and antioxidants. This property helps reduce wrinkles and fine lines and counteract premature aging, and also provide immunity against stress and other environmental factors.
- Dark chocolate: The antioxidants present in dark chocolate can make your skin smoother and lessen redness caused by sun exposure. Flavonoids in dark chocolate protect your skin from harmful UV rays, prevent sunburn and conditions like skin cancer.
- Broccoli: This anti-inflammatory food contains vitamins C and K and minerals like zinc which is very important for skin health. It also contains lutein which protects the skin from oxidative damage and cause it to become dry and wrinkled.
- Carrots: Carrots contain beta carotene which the body converts into vitamin A, which is very important for healthy skin. Eating carrots can reduce wrinkles and smile lines. Carrots are also rich in vitamin C that boosts collagen production and slows the aging process.
- Papaya: Rich in vitamin A, papaya enhances skin health by removing dead skin cells and inactive proteins. It can help the body to produce melanin (the pigment that gives colour to the skin, hair and eyes), which provides protection against skin damage from the sun. Skincare experts recommend a papaya-honey mask for glowing skin.
- Tomatoes: They are rich in antioxidant properties, and when cooked, they have an even higher content of a unique antioxidant called lycopene that protects the skin from sun damage. Tomatoes contain vitamin C, which promotes wound healing, soothes skin inflammation, removes dead skin cells, and fights cellular damage.
- Banana: Bananas contain several vitamins and minerals, including potassium, vitamin B6 and C, which work to tighten the skin and prevent wrinkling and fine lines from forming. This fruit also has natural moisturizing properties.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are a powerful antioxidant. They contain vitamin C and protects the skin from premature aging by fighting against skin damaging elements like stress, pollution and free radicals.
- Pineapple: This fruit is a storehouse of vitamin C, bromelain and antioxidants, which are very beneficial to prevent acne and also treat fine lines, uneven skin tone, etc. Bromelain helps soften the skin and protects against skin inflammation and swelling. Lisa Hayim, the creator of beauty blog The Well Necessities, explained to Redbook: “Pineapple is rich in a mineral called manganese, which activates the enzyme prolidase. It provides the amino acid proline for the formation of collagen in skin, which helps in skin strengthening and elasticity” (www.us.hola.com).
- Watermelon: This is a perfect option to keep your skin hydrated. It contains lycopene ,a phytochemical known for protecting skin from UV rays, and vitamins A and C which help slow down the aging process.
Everything that affects our body is reflected through our skin in a good or bad way. This means that not only eating, but also mental health can affect our skin health. For instance, the skin can reflect our emotions like anxiety, depression, etc. So, it is very important to not only consider our diet but also our mental health to maintain a beautiful healthy younger looking skin. Focus on improving your diet first, stay hydrated always, avoid over exposure to sunlight, and stay happy and motivated as well. These are the key to achieving beautiful, healthy, glowing skin.