In recent times, plastic surgery in New York City has become increasingly popular with a number of patients – both men and women – opting for different procedures. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeon, there were 17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in the United States in 2018, a number that has risen steadily over the past five years. This increase in numbers is because more people are getting plastic surgery than before. From peer pressure to perception of one’s beauty, there are different reasons why a person might want to have plastic surgery.
According to healthline, “Doctors who perform cosmetic procedures point to a number of reasons why people preach “Don’t let anyone judge your appearance!” online yet still shell out money to change their own”.
Here are some of the reasons why plastic surgery is gaining popularity:
- Increase in screen time: Smart phones, selfies, and social media platforms have greatly driven the desire for plastic surgery. Many people, especially millennials, have become more image-conscious than ever before and want to look good in every selfie they click. The more screen time results in selfie awareness which push people to take it one step further by undergoing aesthetics procedures to alter their looks. For instance, according to Daily Mail Online, a US surgeons report claims that Instagram selfies are the biggest incentive for plastic surgery.
- More acceptance: Plastic surgery used to be a secretive thing before, that is, few years back if any had a plastic surgery procedure they wouldn’t dare to broadcast it to the world. But today, things are different. Plastic surgery is now being accepted throughout the United States and the world as simply a part of life.
However, according to The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), “the increasing number of television programmes concerning cosmetic surgery, both fact and fiction, has increased public awareness of the benefits it can offer and has mainstreamed society’s awareness of cosmetic procedures.”
People are more open to discuss and share on what procedure they have done to their body to look more attractive. Since 2015, the total number of reviews on RealSelf has more than doubled as community users often post before and after photos and share candid details about the treatment they chose to have. They are also much more comfortable owning their self-care rituals – including those that involve needles and knives. Some patients also request their plastic surgeons to be on their Instagram feed. (healthline.com)
- It’s now more affordable: Plastic surgery has become more affordable in the last decade, as the procedures gains awareness and popularity among common people.
At some point in the not-so-distant past, plastic surgery was the sole privilege of rich and famous. But now, an average person can also afford it too. There are more chances for the a common person to get cosmetic procedures, but procedure prices can still vary wildly.
Also as plastic surgery financing has become common, there are plenty of financing options that exist from medical credit cards and personal loans to payment plans. However, health insurance typically only covers cosmetic procedures due to a medical reason such as breast reconstruction after a mastectomy.
- Technological advancements: Despite the growing popularity of plastic surgery procedures, many patients still are afraid to go under the knife for various reasons. One such is invasive procedures. However, with the recent technological advancements in this field, more and more non-invasive and minimally invasive procedures is discovered. Hence people feel more reliable and safe towards such procedures.
The advent of minimally or non-invasive cosmetic procedures have transformed the scenario, allowing men and women to achieve their aesthetic goals easily, effectively, safely and with minimal downtime.
- Provides health benefits: Plastic surgery is not just about rejuvenating your body appearance and increasing your self esteem, but sometimes it can benefit your health too. For instance, women who need a breast reduction procedure often get relief from chronic back, neck and shoulder pain. Also, NCBI claims another procedure Botox, has been shown to help with conditions such as chronic migraines, excessive sweating, Bell’s palsy, and perhaps even major depression.
Even though plastic surgery is not curing major diseases such as cancer, the impact and psychological benefit of some cosmetic treatments can be profound.
Most importantly, deciding getting plastic surgery or changing your appearance is something very personal and is something that should be done for yourself and not for anyone else. Like there are certain factors why more people get plastic surgery there are also certain factors that one should not to have plastic surgery such as societal and peer pressure, to please or impress someone else, want to look like a celebrity or someone else, if you are having serious health concerns or to follow a current trend.
However, what you have to keep in mind is that plastic or cosmetic surgery won’t change your life. It’s not a solution for your personal problems or it won’t make you look like someone else. But plastic surgery may give you greater self-confidence and add to your sense of well-being.
As now various plastic surgery procedures are available for almost any part of the body, the decision to undergo plastic surgery should not be taken lightly. Approach a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon in New York City for effective procedure and to have the right motivation. Such surgeons will also educate their patients about the procedures and weigh up all the pros and cons beforehand. Also choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice that can provide optimal experience in using the latest technologies.