Detoxification of the body can promote good health and prevent disease, say fitness experts. The process basically means removing toxins, mucus and other impurities from blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. By eliminating toxins and feeding the body with healthy nutrients, detoxification can protect against disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health. Detoxification restores new energy not only to the vital organs but the entire body as well.
So how can you detox your body? Depending on your individual needs, there are many detoxification programs and detox recipes that involve resting, cleansing, and nourishing the body from the inside out. Examples include: simple fruit and veggie detox, smoothie cleanse, juice cleanse, sugar detox, and hypoallergenic detox.
According to an article published by Alternative Health, your body will show some symptoms which signal the need for detoxification. These symptoms include lack of energy, being overweight, mental confusion, allergies, unexplained fatigue, dependency on sugar, caffeine, alcohol, drugs, and so on, bad skin, body odor, excessive perspiration, headaches, and digestive irregularity. You need to indentify these signals and detox accordingly.
Various studies have indicated that body detoxification is an integral component of optimal health. Here are the key benefits of a well-organized detox program:
- Boosts energy: You need to have enough energy to keep a balance between work, family, hobbies and social life. Detoxing involves cutting down sugar, caffeine, and trans fat, and replacing them with fresh fruit and vegetables, which will provide a natural energy boost. Avoiding substances that cause energy crashes will leave you with more energy throughout the day.
- Improves functioning of internal organs: By removing the toxins from the internal organs, detoxification gives those organs the much-needed rest. Your internal organs such as the liver, kidney and other organs may be functioning properly, but your body may still be storing more toxins than you realize. Detoxing is a great way to get rid of those toxins and help your internal organs function more effectively.
- Promotes healthy weight loss: Detoxification can help with weight loss and management. If one of your goals is losing weight, then a detox could be a great strategy to speed your progress. Detoxification removes the toxins that interfere with proper metabolic functioning and helps to set you up with healthy dietary habits.
- Strengthens the immune system: Detoxing will improve digestive and lymphatic function, which is crucial for strong and balanced immune system. You will be able to absorb essential nutrients like Vitamin C faster, which is good for the immune system. An article in USA Today notes: “If you’re on a detox that involves taking certain herbs, you might also experience a boost to the lymphatic system. This system is partially responsible for keeping you healthy and toxin-free, so you’ll want it working well.”
- Improves mental health and mood: Toxins can affect brain function. By removing toxins, impurities and free radicals from your body, detoxification can improve mood. You will be able to sleep better and also think more clearly.
- Promotes healthy skin: Poor dietary choices and environmental toxins affect the skin. By supporting the body in the removal of free radicals, heavy metals and other toxins, detoxification can improve the appearance of the skin.
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle: A detoxification program encourages people to adopt healthy lifestyle changes. It helps address addiction to sugar, caffeine, fried or crunchy foods and promote healthy eating.
Experts recommend that you detox at least once a year. However, you should talk to your doctor to determine if detoxing is right for you. There are cautions against detoxing for nursing mothers, children, and patients with certain medical conditions and chronic diseases.