Everyone wants smooth, clear skin, but continuous exposure to pollution, acne in the teens, the harsh rays of the sun, stress and aging makes the skin rough and bumpy. Apart from external factors, genetic conditions like eczema, psoriasis, etc can also lead to dry skin. In the case of older women, chemical and hormonal changes leads to loss of skin smoothness. However, having a regular skin care routine can help prevent skin problems and slow signs of aging. Use of moisturizer, sunscreen, and steaming are basic things that you can include in your skin care regimen to achieve smoother skin.
Tips to keep your Skin Smooth
- Maintain a Skin care Routine: Taking proper care of your skin includes cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and moisturizing. These steps help get rid of dirt, clogged pores, etc that can make your skin prone to acne, pimples, dead skin and rough skin. A regular skin care routine can help keep your skin clean and smooth and soft.
- Use Vitamin C Serum in the Morning: Vitamin C has anti-aging benefits and repairs damaged skin. It prevents damage even before anything happens to your skin. It protects your skin by neutralizing free radicals, unstable atoms or molecules that can come from inside our bodies and from external sources such as UV radiation. Free radicals launch tiny attacks on the healthy cells in our bodies. Vitamin C helps to protect your skin against damage caused by free radicals. Today, there are many creams and serums that contain Vitamin C. Applying Vitamin C serum on your face and neck can protect your skin from sun damages.
- Use Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is the ideal solution for dry skin. It has moisture binding properties that makes the skin look plump and soft. Due to exposure to the sun, pollution and other external factors, the level of hyaluronic acid decreases over time and this leads to dry and flaky skin. Applying hyaluronic acid in the form of serum or cream can keep your skin soft and hydrated.
- Use Sunscreen Lotion: Use sunscreen lotion that has at least SPF 30 to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. Harsh sun rays, especially between 10 am and 4 pm, is very harmful for the skin and prolonged exposure to sun can make your skin dry, rough and flaky. Using sunscreen also helps to lighten dark spots, minimize redness, improve skin elasticity and also maintain moisture in your skin.
- Chemically Exfoliating: Chemical exfoliation is an innovative method to attain soft and smooth skin. Exfoliation with AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) helps to improve the skin’s natural renewal process, revealing new younger skin cells and makes your skin look healthier. It reduces hyperpigmentation and it also improves the skin texture. Begin chemical exfoliation with AHA once in a week and then gradually increase the frequency as your skin can tolerate. Chemically exfoliation with Beta Hydroxy Acid is another alternative. It helps to remove dead skin and removes dryness, flakiness an also clears clogged pores. When the layers of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin are removed, such as by exfoliation, the skin loses some of its physical protection against the sun’s UV rays. So it is important to be diligent with sunscreen when using BHA.
- Use a Humidifier: The skin can easily dry out at night. This is because of the fans and AC or heaters that can contribute to a dry room. Use a humidifier and apply moisturizer before going to bed to keep your skin moist and hydrated.
- Eat Healthy and Drink Enough Water: Just like applying enough moisturizer and serums, it is also important to eat well to get a glow from within. Eating healthy and drinking enough water keeps your body hydrated.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping well for at least 6 to 8 hours helps relax the body and this helps to heal the stress and tension that affects the skin. So make it a priority to get proper sleep at night so that the damaged skin can be repaired easily.
Having good skin makes your look better, younger and also boosts your self-confidence. From hormonal acne to skin discoloration to sunspots, your skin goes through several issues that can make your skin dull and rough. All of the above-mentioned tips can help protect your skin from dryness and keep it soft, smooth, and supple.