Dark circles and under-eye puffiness are a common cosmetic concern, especially among women. With aging, the tissues around the eyes, including some of the muscles supporting your eyelids, weaken, leading to bags under the eyes. Stress, lack of sleep, hormonal changes, and heredity factors are some of the main factors causing dark circles. Frequent eye rubbing can also lead to discoloration because rubbing causes thickening and darkening in the area.
Though chemical based products are available to treat these conditions, they may not be suitable for sensitive skin types. Dark circles and bags can be treated with natural remedies. Here are some simple strategies to address this aesthetic concern:
- Cucumber: Cucumber is commonly used in beauty treatments because it has a skin lightening and anti-inflammatory effect. Keeping cucumber slices over your eyes provides a soothing and cooling effect that helps to refresh the eyes and mind. Cucumber contains a number of antioxidants like vitexin, orientin, and cucurbitacins, which help in treating under eye dark circles and puffiness. It also has mild astringent properties that help to tighten the skin. Apply cucumber juice or keep two slice of cucumber over the eyes twice daily for best results.
- Sweet Almond Oil and other Essential oils: Almonds are full of vitamin E and applying almond oil can make the skin makes soft and supple. Apply sweet almond oil under your eyes. Other essential oils such as fennel, lavender or rosemary can also help regenerate the skin around the eyes and address eye bags. Make sure you don’t apply the oil on the eyelid.
- Tea Bags: Moisten tea bags, chill them in the refrigerator, and cover your eyes with them for about 15-20 minutes. Cold tea bags of chamomile or green tea are good options and helps drain out all the excess fluid from the eyes. To see a significant difference, use this remedy regularly.
- Limit alcohol: Limit your alcohol intake, because alcohol can lead to bloodshot and tired eyes.
- Reduce salt intake: Excessive use of salt can cause fluid retention and cause under-eye puffiness. So limit salt intake and avoid salty processed foods.
- Tomatoes: Eating tomatoes can prevent the skin damage as it contains lycopene, a phytochemical that is beneficial for the skin.
- Avocado: Avocado is rich in fat and emollients and can be used to make an eye mask for dark circles.
- Aloe Vera gel: The nourishing properties of Aloe Vera gel help reduce pigmentation under the eyes and make the skin healthier.
- Potato: Potato is a natural bleaching agent. Grated potato can be used to lighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness.
- Yoga and Meditation: Dark circles are usually due to stress, a hectic lifestyle or depression. Practicing yoga and meditation can keep the body and mind calm, and fight stress.
Your eyes are a beautiful asset and require extra care because the area is very sensitive. Pamper your skin with these home remedies to reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes and resolve puffiness.