Stress is part of life and everybody can feel stressed at some point of their life. Managing stress is important for a healthy and peaceful life. Here are some simple strategies that can prevent stress from taking over.
- The most important thing is to be physically active. Make exercise a part of your daily routine which will keep you fit and healthy. Activities like walking, swimming and yoga are good choices to deal stress.
- Stay positive and try to be practical when faced with a stressful situation. There are some things that you cannot change, so learn how to respond in the right way.
- Don’t rely on smoking and consumption of alcohol and drugs to ease stress. Limit your caffeine intake too. Find a relaxing hobby that can keep you occupied.
- Your diet can play a huge role in managing stress levels. Include nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Importantly, don’t skip meals and avoid indulging in calorie-rich comfort foods which will do more harm. Try healthy snacks instead.
- A good night sleep is very important, especially when you are looking to handle your stress. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep at night to wake up feeling fresh and energetic.
- Always find some time to relax every day. Listening to soothing music, doing yoga, reading a book, or simply breathing deeply for a few minutes are great ways to calm the mind and body.
- Spend time with your loved ones. If you can, talk to a friend about your problem – it could make you feel better.
- If you feel people are making unreasonable demands on your time and energy, learn to say ‘No’. This will reduce your stress levels.
- Studies say that laughing releases “happiness hormones” which decreases cortisol and adrenaline levels, and reduces the level of stress hormones.
These simple strategies can make a big difference, so try them and enjoy a stress-free life.