Skin is the largest organ of our body that acts as a barrier against any infections. The skin round the eyes is thinner and more delicate than that in other parts of the body and it can get easily damaged by vigorous rubbing, not moisturizing, and not getting enough sleep. This may lead to wrinkles, puffiness, and dark circles that can make you look aged. Today, people spend most of their time on mobiles, TV and other smart devices that can be tiring for the eyes. Similarly, continuous blinking and repeated expressions can also lead to premature aging of the skin around the eyes. So, it is important to take preventive measures and follow a skin care regime to keep the skin around the eyes moisturized and youthful.
- Keep it moisturized: Many people use moisturizers on their face to keep it radiant and glowing but they often ignore the area near the eyes. Keeping the skin around your eyes moisturized is important to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. You may use a face cream for the skin around the eyes but it can cause irritation or a stinging sensation or make your eyes watery. So, the ideal solution is to use a good eye cream.
- Know the ingredients of your eye cream: There are many eye creams available in the market and choosing the right eye cream is vital to treat your issues.
- For fine lines look for ingredients that provide a plumping effect. Use creams that have potent ingredients and stimulat collagen production. It includes retinoid (prescription-based), retinol (over-the-counter options), vitamin A derivate, peptides.
- For hyper pigmentation due to the sun’s UV rays, use products that have arbutin, vitamin C, soy, kojic acid, hydroquinone, niacinamide, azelaic acid.
- Puffiness of the eyes is usually caused by not getting sufficient sleep or drinking water. But you can treat puffiness of eyes with eye creams that contain caffeine, green tea and coffee berry polyphenols, dipeptide-2, willow herb.
- For general concerns of skin around your eyes, consider using antioxidants. These are potent ingredients that will remove free radicals in the skin generated by UV radiation, smoking, and pollutants. Look for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, greentea, Vitamin B-3 (niacinamide).
- Always be gentle: Be gentle on the skin around the eye and avoid continuous and vigorous rubbing because the skin in that area is very delicate and extra pressure from our daily activities can lead to fine lines. For removing make-up, use a cotton pad and a make-up remover to gently press in an outward motion slowly; and repeat it until the makeup is gone. Similarly, use your pinky finger or ring finger to gently massage your eye cream into the skin.
- Use sun block: Exposing your face to the sun can lead to aging and darkening of the skin. It can make your skin look dull and gloomy. So, use a good sunscreen and make it an indispensable part of your skin care routine. Make sure to apply sunscreen cream on your upper eyelids gently as it is one of the most overlooked areas. You can also use a good pair of sunglasses with UV protection to avoid tiring of the eyes and protect your skin and eyes from UVA/UVB rays.
- Consider massage: Apart from not getting enough moisture, there are many other factors also that lead to the puffiness of your eyes like having ameal high in salt or even too much sleep and some other genetic factors like fluid retention. So, gentle massaging of the skin around your eyes is important to improve circulation. The pressure from the massage may help drain excess fluid around this area and reduce puffiness. To make the massage more effective, you can use jade rollers also to relax the tension around that area.
- Eat, exercise and sleep well: Getting six hours of sleep, regular exercise and eating healthy are very important for achieving a natural and glowing skin. Make sure that you get at least six hours of sleep so that your blood circulation improves. Maintaining a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables that are high in potassium and drinking enough water is also important to keep your skin healthy.
- Use face or eye masks: Today, Korean eye and face masks are popular all around the world. These masks are a quick way of getting instantly glowing skin and it also minimizes the appearance of under eye bags and dark circles.
Having a radiant and glowing skin is everyone’s dream and good skin care is essential at any age. Healthy habits in your 20s and 30s can strengthen and prepare your skin for the effects of aging down the road. So, include these tips into your daily skin care regime to ensure healthy and youthful skin.