Liposuction is a cosmetic surgical technique designed to remove stubborn fat deposits from various areas of the body. The procedure involves removing excess fat and improving body when diet and exercise fail to produce the desired results. Skilled plastic surgeons in NYC can provide customized body contouring procedures to meet patients’ specific goals. While lipo is one of the most popular cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in the U.S., there are many misconceptions about it. One question that patients often ask their surgeon is whether liposuction will help them lose weight. The answer is no.
Liposuction is not an alternative to weight loss measures such as dieting and exercise. It also cannot remove cellulite. Liposuction removes stubborn fat present in various areas of the body like the abdomen, flanks, arms, thighs, neck, and more, that do not respond to exercise and diet. Removing unwanted in various areas sculpts and reshapes your physique, and makes you look thinner and slimmer, but it cannot make much of a difference to your weight.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, most liposuction patients lose only about two to five pounds in total. In fact, good candidates for liposuction are generally within 30 percent of a healthy weight range and have stubborn fat deposits that they want to correct.
Patients should have realistic expectations about the amount of fat that can be eliminated via liposuction. Weight gain causes fat cells to increase in size and volume. Liposuction reduces the number of fat cells in the treated area. The amount of fat removed depends on the specific area and the volume of fat present.
According to expert plastic surgeons, the maximum amount of fat that can be removed safely during a single liposuction treatment is about 5 liters (about 11 lbs). It is important to understand that liposuction is not a weight reduction method; it is a method to improve the shape of your body.
If your goal is weight loss or cellulite treatment, liposuction cannot provide the solution. Here’s what liposuction can do
- It can permanently remove pockets of stubborn fat
- The surgeon can contour the patient’s body as fat is being removed
- The fat can be purified and transferred to other areas to improve fullness
- After their liposuction procedure, patients report that their clothes fit better and they feel more confident.
- Having liposuction helps patients become more fit which can help them adopt a healthier lifestyle
Today, plastic surgeons in NYC perform liposuction using minimally-invasive technologies. These options are ideal for candidates who do not want to have invasive surgery to achieve their body contouring goals. These techniques remove fat and tighten the skin, and involve minimal to no surgical trauma and recovery time.
Minimally-invasive liposuction techniques
- SmartLipo Triplex (laser-assisted): This is the first FDA-approved procedure that uses laser energy to remove excess fat and firm loose skin. The revolutionary SmartLipo Triplex workstation uses three different wavelengths 1440, 1064, and 1320 nm to target localized fat tissues and for tightening the skin.
- VASERlipo (Ultrasound-assisted): VASERlipo is an FDA approved device that uses ultrasound waves to liquefy unwanted fat cells in the targeted areas so that they can easily be removed by suction. The advanced technique can be used to treat areas such as abdomen, back, buttocks, breasts, thighs, hips, neck and arms. It targets and treats the unwanted fat without harming the surrounding blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissues.
- BodyTite (Radiofrequency-assisted): The BodyTite procedure uses radiofrequency assisted liposuction (RFAL) to liquefy subcutaneous fat in the targeted area to remove it easily. It coagulates blood vessels and provides remarkable skin tightening effects. When this RF energy is applied to the targeted area, it won’t harm the surrounding tissues. A young, healthy person with good skin quality will experience a good skin contraction after the treatment. The skin tightening benefit of BodyTite is 40% more than traditional liposuction treatment.
Liposuction removes fat cells permanently. However, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to retain your results. Gaining a significant amount of weight after the procedure will cause new fat cells to develop. If the fat gain is more than 10% of the body weight, new fat cells will start to develop in all areas of the body including the areas already treated by liposuction. However, even if you gain weight after liposuction, your body will be looking better than if you didn’t have liposuction. Smooth recovery and good results also depend on following your surgeon’s instructions about what to do and what no to do after liposuction.
If you are considering liposuction treatment, do your research to identify the best plastic surgeons in NYC. Choose a professional specializing in the procedure you want and will perform it in an AAAASF-accredited surgical center. After evaluating your goals and anatomical considerations and determining that you are a good candidate for the procedure, a reliable surgeon will provide customized treatment to help you achieve the results you want.