We know how effective cosmetic eyelid surgery is to improve the aesthetic appearance of the eyes. It is a commonly performed procedure to help restore youthful-looking eyelids. Age, work pressure and stressful acts that strain the eyes can make the eyes look tired and puffy, which gets resolved with this surgery. Interestingly, a recent report from plastic surgeons in the journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery highlights its possibilities to cure migraine conditions as well. That is, a person undergoing the procedure can benefit from both improved eyelid appearance and relief from migraine.
Here are the details of the report.
- A high success rate was reported when using a technique to screen and choose patients for a particular surgical migraine treatment procedure.
- More than 90% of the individuals who underwent this procedure to decompress the nerves that trigger migraines revealed that they experienced relief from pain along with a bonus cosmetic eyelid surgery.
- In a chosen group of individuals, incisions made on the upper eyelid showed equally effective release and deactivation of the nerves causing migraines.
- Generally a positive response rate of 90.7% was reported.
- For 51.3% of the patients, migraine headaches were completely eliminated. Also, an 80% reduction of symptoms was noted in about a fifth of these people. Almost one third of them reported that 50 – 80% of their symptoms were cured.
Statistics show that more than 5% of men and 17% of women in the US suffer from migraine headaches. Females in the age range of 18-44 were the ones who mostly had this condition. About 26.1% of them had experienced severe headache or 3-month prevalence of migraine. Headache was the third leading cause of emergency department visits as well.
Eyes are one of the most important facial features that enhance the overall facial appearance. That is why individuals looking for a facial rejuvenation procedure prefer undergoing eyelid surgery. These additional benefits assured are sure to enhance the popularity of this procedure.